• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory rape question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HAPPYPHANTOM197

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was just making sure I understand the law. Age of consent for Ohio is 16. It is to my understanding that statutory rape is the act of having sex with someone under the age of consent...is this right? If someone were in a relationship with someone over the age of consent for almost 2 years, could a parent try to press charges for statutory rape? I mean Im sure they could try whatever they wanted, but would they even have a leg to stand on? They were never told about the relationship, but they had to have known. They invited the person to family events and vacations and even let them sleep in the same bed with their son and spend the night 2 nights a week. Its not like they can claim they had no idea...

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was just making sure I understand the law. Age of consent for Ohio is 16. It is to my understanding that statutory rape is the act of having sex with someone under the age of consent...is this right? If someone were in a relationship with someone over the age of consent for almost 2 years, could a parent try to press charges for statutory rape? I mean Im sure they could try whatever they wanted, but would they even have a leg to stand on? They were never told about the relationship, but they had to have known. They invited the person to family events and vacations and even let them sleep in the same bed with their son and spend the night 2 nights a week. Its not like they can claim they had no idea...
Would you explain to me what the "age of consent" means to you?

HAPPYPHANTOM197

Thanks...

Thanks for the response. I just didnt know if there were stipulations or loopholes they could try to get me through. I just didnt want any surprises, and since I dont know a lot about statutory rape I thought I would ask to be safe.

Happy Trails

Thanks for the response. I just didnt know if there were stipulations or loopholes they could try to get me through. I just didnt want any surprises, and since I dont know a lot about statutory rape I thought I would ask to be safe.
For additional information you can go to this link: http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

You'll have to copy and paste without the "urls".

Then go to > TITLE XXIX CRIMES - PROCEDURE > CHAPTER 2907 SEX OFFENSES.

Ohio

§ 2907. 04
Sexual assault for a person age 18 to engage in sexual conduct with a minor if the actor knows that the minor is between ages 13 and 16
(1) Six to 18 months in prison, (2) if the actor is less that four years older than the victim, a $ 1,000 fine, or (3) if the actor is 10 or more years older than the victim, one to five years in prison.

Souce:http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/jud/rpt/2003-R-0376.htm

HAPPYPHANTOM197

but...

So, as long as the person was over the age of 16, age difference between the two do not matter...right? He had the mental capacity to do so. No laws broken in whats been stated, right?

The Occultist

Strictly speaking, there is no crime. However, if the parents say their child cannot see you or whatever, and does so anyways, then you can find other charges brought against you, such as Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. It doesn't sound as though that will be happening, and that specific charge is usually a hard one to make stick if alcohol and drugs aren't involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">