• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stealing teenager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DivaStar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

One of my nephews got caught stealing. My daughter and foster son/nephew was with him. They didn't take anything. I recently received a letter from a law firm in New York who says the store has taken out a civil suit on my nephew/son who didn't take anything and wants us to pay them $150. My nephew who got caught, went to court and has to do take 2 classes, one online and one in person, no fine and has to stay out of trouble for 2 years. Why does my nephew/son who didn't take anything have a civil suit against him?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

One of my nephews got caught stealing. My daughter and foster son/nephew was with him. They didn't take anything. I recently received a letter from a law firm in New York who says the store has taken out a civil suit on my nephew/son who didn't take anything and wants us to pay them $150. My nephew who got caught, went to court and has to do take 2 classes, one online and one in person, no fine and has to stay out of trouble for 2 years. Why does my nephew/son who didn't take anything have a civil suit against him?
**A: it seems that the establishment thinks the nephew that stole is your foster child. Call the law firm and explain. The letter and bill should have been sent to your nephew's parents or guardians.

swalsh411

What you received is a civil demand. You haven't been actually sued yet, but probably will be if you don't pay it or get them to correct their mistake. The law allows victims of thefts (the merchant) to recover a fee from people who steal from him. $150 is on the low side. Usually the deal is that if you pay this then they won't sue the theif for the loss or attempt to have charges pressed against the theif.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">