• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parnet Adoption Home Study in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof2boyz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My husband and I are currently going through the step parent adoption process so he can adopt my son.
We received papers today on the home study and part of it states "upon presentation of an attested copy of this order to any agency, hospital, organization, school, person or office, including the clerk of this court, pediatrician, psychologists, psychiatrists, or police department, the aforementioned shall permit the Guardian ad Litem to inspect and copy and records relating to the minor child and his/her parents. The Guardian ad Litem shall maintain any information received from any such source as confidential, and it shall not be disclose except in reports to the court, to the parties to this case and their counsel, or as directed by the court."

What does all of this mean? I thought the home study was just regarding the home and the environment. When I asked my attorney about the home study he just said they would visit the house to make sure it was safe, he never said anything about any of this other stuff the letter states. And as far as the medical records go, do the Guardian ad Litem just obtain them by themselves do would they have to have my written permission to obtain them? I really don't feel comfortable with someone looking through my medical record, its confidential. I also have anxiety and used to have depression, I really hate for everyone to know that.

So what all will exactly happen? Has anyone went through this before?

Thanks

Silverplum

My husband and I are currently going through the step parent adoption process so he can adopt my son.
We received papers today on the home study and part of it states "upon presentation of an attested copy of this order to any agency, hospital, organization, school, person or office, including the clerk of this court, pediatrician, psychologists, psychiatrists, or police department, the aforementioned shall permit the Guardian ad Litem to inspect and copy and records relating to the minor child and his/her parents. The Guardian ad Litem shall maintain any information received from any such source as confidential, and it shall not be disclose except in reports to the court, to the parties to this case and their counsel, or as directed by the court."

What does all of this mean? I thought the home study was just regarding the home and the environment. When I asked my attorney about the home study he just said they would visit the house to make sure it was safe, he never said anything about any of this other stuff the letter states. And as far as the medical records go, do the Guardian ad Litem just obtain them by themselves do would they have to have my written permission to obtain them? I really don't feel comfortable with someone looking through my medical record, its confidential. I also have anxiety and used to have depression, I really hate for everyone to know that.

Thanks
You are part of "the home," are you not?

The GAL will keep your info confidential.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks
If you really hate for your life to be investigated, don't involve the court and ask them to make orders that are in the best interest of your child. The court is going to do a full investigation when adoption is requested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">