• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Steps to petition for Emancipation of Minor in Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amarante

What is the name of your state? HAWAII

Situation: Minor, 16. Attends a state-supported public boarding school (boarders "work" on campus to "pay" for room/board). Minor's family is from a different island than the boarding school is on. Minor's family is planning to move out of Hawaii to the continental US. Minor wishes to continue boarding in Hawaii while family is on the continent (the school allows this); parent says no. There are other home issues which make boarding/not living at home a more desirable situation for the minor than moving with family.

What steps should this minor take in order to petition for emancipation?

Assuming minor does not meet requirements for emancipation, what are the chances the minor would be allowed to continue boarding if placed in a foster care?

Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hawaii does not appear to recognize the emancipation of a minor unless the minor has been married.

The chances that a minor will be put into foster care so that he can continue to go to school where he wants to instead of returning to the mainland with his family are exactly zip.

If the parents say no, you're going to the continental US, then guess what? You're going to the continental US.

Amarante

Minor prefers to board in order to avoid instances in the home that might result in child protective services becoming involved.

The minor does not want to be placed in foster care, but seems to think if child protective services were involved, minor might be removed from the family. Minor is debating which is the "rock & a hard place", having known others who are unhappy in foster care, even though home situation is actually worse.

Assuming minor is telling the truth & comes forward to proper authorities, and is then placed in foster care, would the foster family be allowed to have minor continue boarding?

If the minor is placed in foster care, does the minor remain in Hawaii even if the family moves to the continental US?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Minor does not get to choose where he lives.

Minor will not be placed in foster care over a school issue.

It is quite unlikely that minor who is placed in foster care will be allowed to continue boarding.

My best guess is that if minor is placed in foster care and family moves to the continental US, minor will be placed in foster care in the continental US.

Minor had better get used to the idea that they are going to the continental US whether he wants to or not.

moburkes

There is no way in hell that a person in foster care will be allowed to continue boarding. The school would need to get "certified" as a group home for foster care. While it probably would qualify, they aren't going through those hoops for you. The foster care family that is willing to accept a 16 year old (there aren't many) could very well be on anther island.

Amarante

Thank you all for your replies.

I appreciate the information, though, I suspect the minor will be less than thrilled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">