• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sticky Situation Underage Marijuana use (CT)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucasxavier203

I am currently 17 years old and living in Connecticut. I need some legal advice on how to deal with a certain situation that occurred on Friday. As second period was coming to an end, this girl and I decided that we would leave school to smoke. She said that we could use her car to acquire the marijuana and she made it clear to me that she had smoked before. Knowing that I was currently licensed she gave me her keys to drive. After we picked up the marijuana we went back to my house and proceeded to smoke. I began to notice that she wasn't feeling well, and offered her water. After a few minutes the situation got worse, she could barley walk let alone talk. I asked her if she was on any other medication and she told me she had taken Prozac and Vyvanse earlier that day. Not having a solution to her signs of fatigue I asked her where she wanted to go and she said "the nurse." My intention was to stay home the rest of the day while she went back to school, but it was evident that she was in no condition to drive. I disposed of the marijuana, she gave me her keys and I brought her back inside the school into the nurses office which I immediately left. I then proceeded to leave school again with a friend of mine who took me to his house. After an hour or so I receive a text message from my neighbor stating that there was a police officer at my house but he had left. Later that day my mother receives an email from the vice principal saying that a student claimed that I was driving and attending school under the influence of marijuana. I also received several texts from her parents saying that they were speaking to the authorities. In summation, I did not force the girl to do anything she did not want to do and the only reason I drove back to school and entered the school was to assist the girl which was in a fatigue like state. I'm not sure what the girl said to the authorities; but I would like to know what to say when confronted by them. I am also aware that being in school while under the influence of marijuana can lead to expulsion. Your thoughts, questions, and answers will be very much appreciated.

Proserpina

I am currently 17 years old and living in Connecticut. I need some legal advice on how to deal with a certain situation that occurred on Friday. As second period was coming to an end, this girl and I decided that we would leave school to smoke. She said that we could use her car to acquire the marijuana and she made it clear to me that she had smoked before. Knowing that I was currently licensed she gave me her keys to drive. After we picked up the marijuana we went back to my house and proceeded to smoke. I began to notice that she wasn't feeling well, and offered her water. After a few minutes the situation got worse, she could barley walk let alone talk. I asked her if she was on any other medication and she told me she had taken Prozac and Vyvanse earlier that day. Not having a solution to her signs of fatigue I asked her where she wanted to go and she said "the nurse." My intention was to stay home the rest of the day while she went back to school, but it was evident that she was in no condition to drive. I disposed of the marijuana, she gave me her keys and I brought her back inside the school into the nurses office which I immediately left. I then proceeded to leave school again with a friend of mine who took me to his house. After an hour or so I receive a text message from my neighbor stating that there was a police officer at my house but he had left. Later that day my mother receives an email from the vice principal saying that a student claimed that I was driving and attending school under the influence of marijuana. I also received several texts from her parents saying that they were speaking to the authorities. In summation, I did not force the girl to do anything she did not want to do and the only reason I drove back to school and entered the school was to assist the girl which was in a fatigue like state. I'm not sure what the girl said to the authorities; but I would like to know what to say when confronted by them. I am also aware that being in school while under the influence of marijuana can lead to expulsion. Your thoughts, questions, and answers will be very much appreciated.

Say nothing without an attorney present, and be prepared for expulsion. You don't need to be told that you did something incredibly stupid, but you do need to recognize that this could follow you for a long time.

TigerD

I would like to know what to say when confronted by them
Nothing. You say nothing. You ask for an attorney and then shut up. In fact, you would be well advised to seek an attorney now. A good attorney will tell you to say nothing.

You don't talk. Not to the school - not to the police.

DC

Lucasxavier203

I believe that expulsion won't occur, people have been repetitively caught under the influence of marijuana in my school and they have not been expelled. What charges am I looking at here? Also to correct my previous post I am 16 years old.

Proserpina

I believe that expulsion won't occur, people have been repetitively caught under the influence of marijuana in my school and they have not been expelled. What charges am I looking at here? Also to correct my previous post I am 16 years old.

It doesn't matter what happened to other students. Seriously, it doesn't matter.

They might be far heavier on you because the health of another student was directly compromised as a result of both of your actions. If her parents push hard enough, expect the worst case scenario.

Again - say nothing. Not. One. Thing. It's probably not a bad idea to put your parents at least on alert.

Lucasxavier203

I was hoping that an alternative route was possible in dealing with this, I was planning on telling the police everything that occurred because It was my belief that I did not break any laws. Nevertheless, experience goes a long way and I will take your much appreciated advice on this. Any other thoughts?

quincy

Here is a link to the law, Lucasxavier: http://norml.org/laws/item/connecticut-penalties

If this is your first offense, it is likely that you will have a traffic-ticket type of fine. Simple possession or consumption of marijuana in Connecticut is a civil offense and not a criminal offense. However your described situation is a bit more complicated than simple possession/consumption.

I DO want to applaud your actions in taking your friend to the school for evaluation by the nurse, although this has undoubtedly complicated your own situation. Too many kids are afraid of getting into trouble to do as you did. Thank you for putting your friend's needs ahead of your own.

I don't know your school, or what they will do. I imagine that you will find out soon enough.

TigerD

Well, let's see what could be possible:
You admitted to driving under the influence of illegal drugs. Start with loss of your license
You admitted to inviting at least one minor child back to your house to use illegal drugs. Accessory to distribution, conspiracy, civil forfeiture of your house...
You admitted to making the arrangements to purchase drugs on a school campus -- can they stretch that into distribution on school grounds?
You left campus in the middle of the school day. Truancy, Is it grounds for suspension or expulsion in your district?

Realistically, little of the above is likely to happen, but you definitely need to talk to your parents and an attorney BEFORE speaking to anyone about this.

My non-legal advice:
Shut up.
Stop treating this like a joke.
Stop using illegal drugs.
Stay in school.
Study.

DC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">