• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stole blank check, wrote $800 to retailer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

A friend discovered she was $800 overdrawn at her bank. A review of her account revealed an $800+ purchase at a large retailer, the check number was much higher than the check blanks she was currently writing from. In other words, someone had gotten into her desk, and got into her box of blank checks, and tore a random check out of one of them, then went on a shopping spree.
A police report was filed, and the reatiler was contacted, who was confident they could provide video footage of the transaction, thus identifying the perp. Meanwhile, the bank has credited the $800 back to my friend's account -- in other words, the reatiler will have to eat the $800.
We do not, at this time, know who the perp is, but there's a good chance it will be a juvenile acquaintance of her kids --ALTHOUGH THE PERP MAY BE AN ADULT.
My friend is concerned about what will happen to the perp, if it just turns out to be a friend of the family or neighborhood kid, i.e. will she be sending some misguided kid to the Big House? etc.
What we want to know is:

1. What criminal charge will the perp recieve for this action, and what penalty -- (a) if they're a juvenile, or (b) as an adult?
2. Since the police are involved, as well as the bank and retailer -- is the perp's fate out of the hands of my friend's pressing charges or not?

She will be crestfallen if she sees the video and discovers it's a local kid or friend of the family. It's out of the question that one of her own kids did it, since they are vividly aware that she couldn't afford that.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

A friend discovered she was $800 overdrawn at her bank. A review of her account revealed an $800+ purchase at a large retailer, the check number was much higher than the check blanks she was currently writing from. In other words, someone had gotten into her desk, and got into her box of blank checks, and tore a random check out of one of them, then went on a shopping spree.
A police report was filed, and the reatiler was contacted, who was confident they could provide video footage of the transaction, thus identifying the perp. Meanwhile, the bank has credited the $800 back to my friend's account -- in other words, the reatiler will have to eat the $800.
We do not, at this time, know who the perp is, but there's a good chance it will be a juvenile acquaintance of her kids --ALTHOUGH THE PERP MAY BE AN ADULT.
My friend is concerned about what will happen to the perp, if it just turns out to be a friend of the family or neighborhood kid, i.e. will she be sending some misguided kid to the Big House? etc.
What we want to know is:

1. What criminal charge will the perp recieve for this action, and what penalty -- (a) if they're a juvenile, or (b) as an adult?
2. Since the police are involved, as well as the bank and retailer -- is the perp's fate out of the hands of my friend's pressing charges or not?

She will be crestfallen if she sees the video and discovers it's a local kid or friend of the family. It's out of the question that one of her own kids did it, since they are vividly aware that she couldn't afford that.
So it's okay that the retailer suffers the loss, as long as a poor "misguided kid" doesn't go to the "Big House" and certainly as long as some "friend of the famly or neighborhood kid" is not involved.

Okey dokey.

So it's okay that the retailer suffers the loss, as long as a poor "misguided kid" doesn't go to the "Big House" and certainly as long as some "friend of the famly or neighborhood kid" is not involved.

Okey dokey.
Wow, that was just hilarious -- you know, since it didn't make any sense? Nice job.
If you're going to go to the bother of replying to a thread, why wouldn't you AT LEAST reply to the direct question(s) contained therein -- before you render a misguided opinion about how the victim is happy about the retailer losing money (untrue) and that she plans on protecting the kid who did it (untrue)...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow, that was just hilarious -- you know, since it didn't make any sense? Nice job.
If you're going to go to the bother of replying to a thread, why wouldn't you AT LEAST reply to the direct question(s) contained therein -- before you render a misguided opinion about how the victim is happy about the retailer losing money (untrue) and that she plans on protecting the kid who did it (untrue)...
Alrighty then! :rolleyes:

tranquility

Charge? How about charges? At least one count of burglary, probably two. Fraud, uttering a false instrument, larceny and forgery come to mind as well. So, about 5 felonies and one or two misdemeanors depending on the facts and desire to charge. (That could go up--depending. If you really wanted to get technical, you can charge all kinds of things.) Penalties? Who knows either for adult or child, it would all depend.
Out of friend's hands unless she wants to commit criminal acts. Even then, it is likely the die is cast.

jiggy78

Your "friend" has her priorities all screwed up. The retailer is the innocent victim here. It is NOT ok that they suffer the loss. The person who stole the check is a criminal and needs to be punished.

If your "friend" wants her conscious to be cleared then she can reimburse the store for their loss.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Hello Mcfly:eek::eek:

Talk about misguided... pot meet kettle.

Your "friend" has her priorities all screwed up. The retailer is the innocent victim here. It is NOT ok that they suffer the loss. The person who stole the check is a criminal and needs to be punished.

If your "friend" wants her conscious to be cleared then she can reimburse the store for their loss.
Point taken, but let me clarify -- I never said the friend was "okay" with the retailer losing that money. She is not okay with it -- just the same as you wouldn't be.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Point taken, but let me clarify -- I never said the friend was "okay" with the retailer losing that money. She is not okay with it -- just the same as you wouldn't be.
She's apparently okay enough with it if the scum who stole from the retailer (and tried to steal from her) is someone she knows.

I think it would be poetic justice if it WAS one of her kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">