• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stone7187

What is the name of your state? California.

Hello, I Just recived a "Subpoena for Appearance of Witness" in the mail a couple of days ago, the story is i witnessed 2 boys breaking into a building where i called the police and they shortly arrested them...i requested that i would like to be labeld anonymous and that i would not testify in court if the needed me to. Know i am having to do what i was trying to avoid. i know i Will Be punished for/as contemp of court if i do not attend, so to prevent being charged i have mad the decision to go. But i will not testify. this is where i need some advice, ----How do i let the court know i do not want 2 testify , ----Will i be then punished for not testifying, even though i called the police on these juvinilles.

Thank you.

The Occultist

Yes, a subpoena means you must appear, and once on the bench, failure to answer the questions will result in a contempt of court charge. I believe if you make the request they will try to keep your identity a secret, but you still must appear and testify.

CdwJava

stone7187 said:
Hello, I Just recived a "Subpoena for Appearance of Witness" in the mail a couple of days ago, the story is i witnessed 2 boys breaking into a building where i called the police and they shortly arrested them...i requested that i would like to be labeld anonymous and that i would not testify in court if the needed me to. Know i am having to do what i was trying to avoid. i know i Will Be punished for/as contemp of court if i do not attend, so to prevent being charged i have mad the decision to go. But i will not testify. this is where i need some advice, ----How do i let the court know i do not want 2 testify , ----Will i be then punished for not testifying, even though i called the police on these juvinilles.
The court can order you to testify. If you refuse, you could be jailed for contempt of court.

Talk to the DA if you don't want to testify and see if he'll let you off. Don't count on it, though. Convictions do not occur based on anonymous reports. If people remain anonymous than no one will ever go to jail. I have seen bad criminals walk because witnesses - and victims - have decided they did not want to get involved. Then they call and complain that nothing happened to the bad guys!! :mad:

You can be part of the solution or you can let the crooks go free. Hopefully you won't have to rely on someone who backs away if you or your family is victimized.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">