• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended for file on Jumpdrive called "How to Make a Pipe Bomb.txt"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScreamingEagle

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello,

I am a 10th grader in the state of Maryland who was recently suspended to the superintendent of my county's schools.

This means that I must go before a Hearing Officer and the principal of my school, and myself and my parents will present our case.

To summarize what happened, I have had an interest in the chemistry of how materials burn and combust. I got a link from one of the people I talk to online,while at my friends house, that sent me to an electronic copy of the Anarchists Handbook. I downloaded a bunch of text files onto my thumb-drive, to bring back to my house. This was around 6 months prior)

I started carrying my thumb-drive with me at school to carry homework assignments to and from school.

One day, In my Visual Basic Programming class, I decided to organize my files on my jumpdrive. I came upon the Anarchist Cookbook files and decided to look at the properties. I clicked on properties and about 10 seconds after, the schools computer security shut down my computer remotely. I was taken out of class into my Vice Principals office.
They took my jumpdrive and started asking me questions about the files. They told me that I had got them from the internet at school. I told them that I hadn't but that if I did I would have got them from totse.com.

In the end, they suspended me to the superintendent.

After looking through maryland state law, and the counties code of conduct, I could not find anything that said I could not have these files on my jumpdrive.

I have set up a small website for this cause,
www.freezachsteel.co.nr

What I will be presenting at the hearing can be located here,

http://www.mindshankedgaming.com/state/My Statement.doc/ I just wanted someone else's opinion about this. Thanks!

ScreamingEagle

I do realize this is a touchy subject (My cousins boyfriend died in the Virginia Tech Shooting) I want more advice on the legality of this. I had many files that was just one of the worst. I never created one, I never made any threats, I never even opened the file at school.

I'm a proud AFJROTC Cadet from a military family. This is already going to screw up my life plans to work for the AFOSI.

It was just downloaded for my curiosity in explosives and weapons.

Last edited:

BL

Everywhere , everyone is going to err on the side of caution and public protection .

You seriously can not know of what goes around the country .

If you were seriously wanting to get into such field and employment , you would be pursuing this in classes, etc. , instead of on line .

xylene

In my opinion...

You need to play unknowing and apologetic. WATER WORKS. :eek:

You are really lucky that the school did not find some way to involve the police.

An important thing to learn. Having 'combustion' as a hobby is politically sensitive. This is George Bush's America and it's "Guiliani Time".

You'll be out of High School soon. Then you can worry about your job finding out you visit totse.com.... :rolleyes:

Silverplum

I do realize this is a touchy subject (My cousins boyfriend died in the Virginia Tech Shooting) I want more advice on the legality of this. I had many files that was just one of the worst. I never created one, I never made any threats, I never even opened the file at school.

I'm a proud AFJROTC Cadet from a military family. This is already going to screw up my life plans to work for the AFOSI.

It was just downloaded for my curiosity in explosives and weapons.
Shortsighted move on your part. I can't see how you're going to get out of trouble on this. And I do think you should be in huuuuge trouble. If you didn't see this as a problem, then you already have a problem, IMHO.

ScreamingEagle

In my opinion...

You need to play unknowing and apologetic. WATER WORKS. :eek:

You are really lucky that the school did not find some way to involve the police.

An important thing to learn. Having 'combustion' as a hobby is politically sensitive. This is George Bush's America and it's "Guiliani Time".

You'll be out of High School soon. Then you can worry about your job finding out you visit totse.com.... :rolleyes:
Heh.

Well this is going in thew opposite way I wanted it too, but thanks guys.

xylene

This is already going to screw up my life plans to work for the AFOSI.
Dude. "Life Plans"

They still don't allow gays in the military.

Just a lil ball busting. But seriously. Your suspension is not going to ruin your life. You didn't even commit a crime.

That doesn't change that, broadly speaking, the school can enforce discipline any way they want to.

seniorjudge

The legality is that you could've been charged with a terrorist act since you carried terrorist info in to the school.

(Right, wrong, or indifferent, those are the facts. If y'all want to argue free speech, put me down on the side of the freerer the speech the better.)

Silverplum

Columbine.
Columbine.
Columbine.
Columbine.
Columbine.

That's all I have to say to you, dude. And that's all the law enforcement types are gonna be thinking when they deal with you. That, and being glad they caught you before you blew up the school.

xylene

Shortsighted move on your part. I can't see how you're going to get out of trouble on this. And I do think you should be in huuuuge trouble. If you didn't see this as a problem, then you already have a problem, IMHO.
Yeah this is george bush's america and some knowledge is secret.

Its vital that secret knowledge of how to blow yout hands off not fall into the hands of teens. :rolleyes::D:D:D

But they can still ram that anti-semite Ayn Rand down the students throat.... pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">