• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspension / expulsion from school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikemikita2002

I live in Ohio. My son who is 13 took a pocket knife to school on friday. He showed it to some other students, they told on him, and it was taken. He was given an immediate 2 week supension. With the threat that he could be expelled for the year according to their zero tolerance policy. The priciple is not advocating for expulsion and believes the board will follow his recommendation. He also expects there will be no criminal charges filed.

1) if he is just suspended does he have the right to make up his work?

2) he has been restricted from extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year (class trips etc....) is this a violation of his rights?

3) if he does not have the right to make up his work, does he have the right to his books so he may study at home to keep up with his class?

4) in the unlikely event of his expulsion what should I do next?

Last edited:

luvbskts

mikemikita2002 said:
I live in Ohio. My son took a pocket knife to school on friday. He showed it to some other students, they told on him, and it was taken. He was given an immediate 2 week supension. With the threat that he could be expelled for the year according to their zero tolerance policy. The priciple is not advocating for expulsion and believes the board will follow his recommendation. He also expects there will be no criminal charges filed.

2) he has been restricted from extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year (class trips etc....) is this a violation of his rights?

3) if he does not have the right to make up his work, does he have the right to his books so he may study at home to keep up with his class?

how old is your son?

JETX

mikemikita2002 said:
if he is just suspended does he have the right to make up his work?
Right?? No.
Can he?? Likely, yes. But depends on school policy. What did the school say??

he has been restricted from extracurricular activities for the remainder of the year (class trips etc....) is this a violation of his rights?
No. There is no 'right' to extra-curricular activity's.

if he does not have the right to make up his work, does he have the right to his books so he may study at home to keep up with his class?
See answer above.

in the unlikely event of his expulsion what should I do next?
Besides taking care of your juvenile delinquent in training?? Not much, other than better start finding a suitable school that will accept him.

mikemikita2002

Junenile delinquent in training????? You know nothing about this situation but what I have told you. I gather your not an attorney or even a parent / find someplace else to peddle your condenscending misinformation.

JETX

mikemikita2002 said:
Junenile delinquent in training?????
Hmmmmm, lets see.
13 year old who takes a knife to school??
Yep, juvenile delinquent!!

You know nothing about this situation but what I have told you.
Agreed. But you have said enough. Tell you what.... how many grades C or lower did he bring home last semester??? :D

I gather your not an attorney or even a parent
Wrong, twice!!

find someplace else to peddle your condenscending misinformation.
What was incorrect about my post??? Of course, nothing other than your little bruised 'parental ego'. :eek:

S

shell007

His suspension is SUPPOSED to be a punishment NOT a two week vacation.

What kid (13-year-old boy) is going to learn a lesson by doing his math homework while eating a pizza, and watching ESPN all in the comfort of A cushy couch with a couple of pillows???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What about the "rights" of ALL the other students, who attend this school? They have the RIGHT to assume that when they or their parent's send them off to school for the day, that they (the students) are in a SAFE and NONTHREATENING environment.

Wolflmg

mikemikita2002 said:
I live in Ohio. My son who is 13 took a pocket knife to school on friday. He showed it to some other students, they told on him, and it was taken. He was given an immediate 2 week supension. With the threat that he could be expelled for the year according to their zero tolerance policy. The priciple is not advocating for expulsion and believes the board will follow his recommendation. He also expects there will be no criminal charges filed.

This is a serious thing, school policies, have become much harder on students that bring anything that resembles a weapon. Whether they bring a pocket knife to school or a kitchen knife. Even if it was put in by accident or not having any intention of using it in a harmful way, the rules are as is.

In his case, he's probably very lucky that he was only suspended or could be for the rest of the year, and would be able to be allowed back in the next school year. In some cases, when this type of thing happens the student is expelled completly. So your son is very lucky.

xylene

Wolflmg said:
This is a serious thing, school policies, have become much harder on students that bring anything that resembles a weapon. Whether they bring a pocket knife to school or a kitchen knife. Even if it was put in by accident or not having any intention of using it in a harmful way, the rules are as is.

In his case, he's probably very lucky that he was only suspended or could be for the rest of the year, and would be able to be allowed back in the next school year. In some cases, when this type of thing happens the student is expelled completly. So your son is very lucky.
This is why parents should know what their schools are doing, not let pea (pee) brained educators craft 'zero-tolerance' policies that were inflexible failures in the early 1990's. It is feel-good fodder for 'rules' people with a legal mind but poor ethics and no idea about how to raise a child, but not sound policy. (I wonder who they are?)

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 12. But then agian my father had the good sense to teach me never to boast or show off, especially a blade.

But then there are more parents who think that we can retroactively stop Columbine... As if black make-up and pen knives were the problem, not a broken system of mega-schools, pervasive drugs (done by parents) and alienation in a frat boy culture. GO STEELERS!

Wolflmg

xylene said:
This is why parents should know what their schools are doing, not let pea (pee) brained educators craft 'zero-tolerance' policies that were inflexible failures in the early 1990's. It is feel-good fodder for 'rules' people with a legal mind but poor ethics and no idea about how to raise a child, but not sound policy. (I wonder who they are?)

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 12. But then agian my father had the good sense to teach me never to boast or show off, especially a blade.

But then there are more parents who think that we can retroactively stop Columbine... As if black make-up and pen knives were the problem, not a broken system of mega-schools, pervasive drugs (done by parents) and alienation in a frat boy culture. GO STEELERS!
Actually most schools each year send out their policies and rules out to the parents in the mail and even make it avialible for then on the internet. At least my old highschool did.

In my view it's jsut common since, not to bring a pocket knife to school. Heck the hockey game my dad and I went to, wouldn't allow him to bring his pocket knife into the stands.

Last edited:
S

shell007

Wolflmg said:
Actually most schools each year send out their policies and rules out to the parents in the mail and even make it avialible for then on the internet. At least my old highschool did.

In my view it's jsut common since, not to bring a pocket knife to school. Heck the hockey game my dad and I went to, wouldn't allow him to bring his pocket knife into the stands.
In our district, the "Policy and Procedures" manual is to be read by the parent's and the student's AND be signed and returned to the school within the first 30 days of the new school year.

In my view, the school can not be held liable or responsible for EVERYTHING! It is the parent's/guardian's responsibility to know what their child is taking to school. I search my kids backpacks daily before going to school. Usually to make sure they haven't stashed a box of Mike-and-Ike's away for lunch.:D

Anyway...the whole "NO WEAPON" policy is pretty clear. Now he must pay for the consequences of his actions. The parent's should pay too!!!

luvbskts

shellandty said:
In our district, the "Policy and Procedures" manual is to be read by the parent's and the student's AND be signed and returned to the school within the first 30 days of the new school year.

In my view, the school can not be held liable or responsible for EVERYTHING! It is the parent's/guardian's responsibility to know what their child is taking to school. I search my kids backpacks daily before going to school. Usually to make sure they haven't stashed a box of Mike-and-Ike's away for lunch.:D

Anyway...the whole "NO WEAPON" policy is pretty clear. Now he must pay for the consequences of his actions. The parent's should pay too!!!

Bravo and very well put!

Two Bit

I'm an SRO, and in our school system, he'd be taken to the youth detention center. When you carry a knife to school and show it to people, you're doing it for a reason. His intent might not have been to assault anyone. Maybe he just wanted to show how tough he was by having a knife. I don't know. Everyone knows that you should take weapons to school. So if you're doing it, there has to be some motivation for it, and the perpatrator has to think it's worth the risk.

What is clear is that he was committing a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">