• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teen daughter wants to take son to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcinohio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My daughter will be 18 in Sept. She moved to LA with her boyfriend last month.She has a 2yr old son and has been a good mother, she is also quite capable of taking care of herself. Her boyfriend stayed with us for a month before moving to LA mainly because I wanted to know more about him before I agreed to let my daughter leave before turning 18.His family lives there and since leaving here a month ago,he has a full time job and has rented a home close to his family.I made my daughter leave her son with me until they had a home established,it happened sooner then I thought it would! She wants to get her son next month(July) when they come back for the rest of their stuff, does she have to wait until she turns 18 to take him with her? There has never been any visition rights etc established with the father.

If you are worried about the welfare of the child you can file for temporary custody with the courts in your state. You must establish that your daughter cannot properly care for the child and show that it would be in the best interest of the child to stay with you. You could simply talk to your daughter and let her know how you feel. She is a minor and you are still legally responsible for her until she is 18. She has obviously shown that she is not responsible in the past, getting pregnant at 15. If you are financially stable than let her know that you can provide the child with a better life. I am sure that if she has an ounce of sense in her, then she may let you give the child the life he deserves. Otherwise, let her go and support her as much as you can.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

My daughter will be 18 in Sept. She moved to LA with her boyfriend last month.
ok
She has a 2yr old son and has been a good mother, she is also quite capable of taking care of herself.
ok
Her boyfriend stayed with us for a month before moving to LA mainly because I wanted to know more about him before I agreed to let my daughter leave before turning 18.
The time to get to know more about his is when your teenage daughter started dating him, not after she was screwing him and made a baby... but ok.
His family lives there and since leaving here a month ago,he has a full time job and has rented a home close to his family.
ok
I made my daughter leave her son with me until they had a home established,it happened sooner then I thought it would!
I have no idea why you thought you had any right to "make" your daugher leave HER child anywhere. You had no legal standing to do so. You were way out of line and you better be glad she probably didn't know any better.
She wants to get her son next month(July) when they come back for the rest of their stuff, does she have to wait until she turns 18 to take him with her?
No, she can come and get HER child whenever she feels like it and you have no legal standing to keep HER child from him. 18 isn't the magic number for her being a mother, it's what makes her an adult.
There has never been any visition rights etc established with the father.
She doesn't have to establish them if she doesn't want to, however, you may want to be very careful with withholding her child from her, or you may find yourself not seeing your grandchild again.

CourtClerk

If you are worried about the welfare of the child you can file for temporary custody with the courts in your state.
Really, on what grounds?
You must establish that your daughter cannot properly care for the child and show that it would be in the best interest of the child to stay with you.
Daughter has her residence with her boyfriend. He seems to be keeping up the household..
You could simply talk to your daughter and let her know how you feel.
That's about the only thing you've said that was right.
She is a minor and you are still legally responsible for her until she is 18.
And that to, however, she's obviously abdicated that responsibility to someone else.
She has obviously shown that she is not responsible in the past, getting pregnant at 15.
Mom hasn't done much better with letting the boy that knocked her up live with them... nor providing the proper supervision, and/or letting her go with her boyfriend while she's a minor anyway... what's your point?
If you are financially stable than let her know that you can provide the child with a better life.
Finances doesn't make one a better parent. It allows you to buy toys.
I am sure that if she has an ounce of sense in her, then she may let you give the child the life it deserves.
You're working on the assumption that mom has an ounce of sense in her... remember, she let the boyfriend come and live in her house so that she "can learn more about him.":rolleyes:
Otherwise, let her go and support her as much as you can.
Stop giving advice please...

You can file for temporary custody or protective supervision if the child is dependent, neglected, or abused. (Ohio Revised Code 2151.353) You have stated that your daughter is a good mother but that is under your roof with your supervision. If you are truly worried about the welfare of the child I implore you again to simply talk to your daughter before you start any legal action. I hope that she has enough sense to do what is best for her child and that you will do what is necessary to ensure this happens. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My daughter will be 18 in Sept. She moved to LA with her boyfriend last month.
You let her move out as a minor?

She has a 2yr old son and has been a good mother, she is also quite capable of taking care of herself. Her boyfriend stayed with us for a month before moving to LA mainly because I wanted to know more about him before I agreed to let my daughter leave before turning 18.His family lives there and since leaving here a month ago,he has a full time job and has rented a home close to his family.
Okay.

I made my daughter leave her son with me until they had a home established,
You had NO RIGHT to do that. You have no legal rights to your grandchild.

it happened sooner then I thought it would! She wants to get her son next month(July) when they come back for the rest of their stuff, does she have to wait until she turns 18 to take him with her?
She would have to be 18 to leave HOWEVER since you already let her move out to another state, you have NO rights to withhold HER child from her unless you want to be charged with kidnapping. Also if you didn't let HER leave, she could easily turn HER son over to HIS father and then join THEM in September and NEVER let you see the child again.

There has never been any visition rights etc established with the father.
And? Your daughter is WITH the father. So no visitation rights are apparently necessary. You are NOT legally involved in this. Depending on what county you are in, you would get a smackdown from the judges if you tried to interfere with this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you are worried about the welfare of the child you can file for temporary custody with the courts in your state. You must establish that your daughter cannot properly care for the child and show that it would be in the best interest of the child to stay with you. You could simply talk to your daughter and let her know how you feel. She is a minor and you are still legally responsible for her until she is 18. She has obviously shown that she is not responsible in the past, getting pregnant at 15. If you are financially stable than let her know that you can provide the child with a better life. I am sure that if she has an ounce of sense in her, then she may let you give the child the life it deserves. Otherwise, let her go and support her as much as you can.
Shush unless you have any actual LEGAL advice. What you have said doesn't matter. The life IT deserves? A child is a human being and either a he or a she. NOT an it. Legally you cannot just GIVE away children. Dad has every right to have a say so. RealAmerican you have no clue about Ohio laws.

CdwJava

My question ...

Is the boyfriend in Los Angeles also the father of the 2-year-old? If not, there may be a potential issue for visitation and custody if bio-dad wants to pursue it.

- Carl

In my next post I further explained the limited options for the grandparents. Court Clerk must have deleted it because I told him he appeared to be a pretentious fool. Touchy, you must hear that alot. OhioGal it seems you like to pick at my posts as well and do not shush me. I simply did not remember the sex of the child when I was writing so I went with the neutral "it". To stop your incessant nagging I will edit my post to reflect the proper "he" when I refered to the child.

The OP should look at ORC 2151.353, this covers temporary custody and protective supervision.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

In my next post I further explained the limited options for the grandparents. CourtClerk must have deleted it because i told him he appeared to be a pretentious fool.
Oh goody goody gumdrops... I have developed the power to delete other people's posts!!!

Sorry, not even I'm that good... yet. However, if I were you, I'd watch just who you are calling a fool with the advice you're giving around here.:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In my next post I further explained the limited options for the grandparents. Court Clerk must have deleted it because I told him he appeared to be a pretentious fool. Touchy, you must hear that alot. OhioGal it seems you like to pick at my posts as well and do not shush me. I simply did not remember the sex of the child when I was writing so I went with the neutral "it". To stop your incessant nagging I will edit my post to reflect the proper "he" when I refered to the child.

The OP should look at ORC 2151.353, this covers temporary custody and protective supervision.
Okay RealAmerican lets look at it:
2151.353 Orders of disposition of abused, neglected or dependent child.
(A) If a child is adjudicated an abused, neglected, or dependent child, the court may make any of the following orders of disposition:

(1) Place the child in protective supervision;

(2) Commit the child to the temporary custody of a public children services agency, a private child placing agency, either parent, a relative residing within or outside the state, or a probation officer for placement in a certified foster home, or in any other home approved by the court;
The child is NOT abused, neglected or dependent. IF THE CHILD WERE FOUND TO BE ABUSED, NEGLECTED AND/OR DEPENDENT, the child could be placed in protective supervision -- do you KNOW what that means? That means that CSB would oversee the child in the custody of their LEGAL CUSTODIAN (meaning MOM -- the minor child parent) until the instance causing the child to be neglected, abused or dependent was dealt with. THIS CHILD IS NONE OF THE ABOVE. You are an idiot.
You really need to know what the ENTIRE statute states and then how the courts apply it. Because I do. You don't. I win. SHUSH.

Would you like to know how I am familiar with that statute? WOULD YOU LIKE TO FIGURE OUT. I am a GAL and attorney IN JUVENILE COURT IN -- can you guess the state? CAN YOU? How are your powers of deduction? So yes, I stick with the idea that yiou are an idiot who knows nothing about the law. OKay? So SHUSH.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Oh and you might want to look at the rest of the ORC 2151 to get a clue as to the context of that particular statute. AND CC is NOT a him. And is not pretentious fool. SHe knows what she is talking about. You on the other hand haven't proven you know ANYTHING.

CourtClerk

Please tell me RealAmerican is not going debate Ohio Family law with an Ohio Family Law attorney.

Please tell me that's not about to happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">