• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teen mom needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airforceconrad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a friend who will be 17 soon who has a daughter turning 2....she lives with her grandmother and 20 year old sister who is also a mother of a 1 year old son. Her grandmother is saying a lot of things that have been driving both her and her sister to where they want to get away. They want to know if they can legally be able to move out into metro housing of some sort since they are mothers and have responsibility over their own child....can anyone please enlighten me with information on this?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a friend who will be 17 soon who has a daughter turning 2....she lives with her grandmother and 20 year old sister who is also a mother of a 1 year old son. Her grandmother is saying a lot of things that have been driving both her and her sister to where they want to get away. They want to know if they can legally be able to move out into metro housing of some sort since they are mothers and have responsibility over their own child....can anyone please enlighten me with information on this?

A 16 year old Mom will not be legally emancipated in this situation. Where are the child's parents? Who has custody of the 16 year old?

airforceconrad

she is the one in custody.....how about when she turns 17 in less than a month? and isn't there something the older sister could do since she is 20?

airforceconrad

apologies i meant She is the one who has custody. Parents are split and kicked her out when she was pregnant with her daughter...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The 20 year old sister is free to move out whenever she pleases.

When the younger sister turns 18 (not 17 - 18) then so can she.

No, the younger sister cannot move out and live with her older sister prior to her 18th (not 17th - 18th) until or unless the grandmother agrees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">