• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjb

What is the name of your state? California
17-year old daughter posed for lingerie photos and gave them to 18-year old boyfriend who lives at home with parents. Mom searched boy's room; found photos; has shown them to friends, family members, church groups, etc. She threatens that photos will show up again at the "wrong time," "will haunt her," etc. Boyfriends mom refuses to return pictures to my daughter, and continues to use blackmail language. What can we do to get my daughter's implusive pictutres back? Help, help, help.

BelizeBreeze

The pictures belong to the boy and as his property, the parent can do as they wish with them. You have no rights to them any longer.

CdwJava

In addition to BB's reply, this has the potential to be blackmail (aka "extortion") only if the parent is trying to obtain something of value from you or your daughter.

It could be that she is simply angry that your daughter would provide such photos to her son. I know that I would be none too pleased if one of my sons suddenly were in possession of lingerie photos of his minor girlfriend!

- Carl

tjb

Who do you think took the photos? The now 19-year old boyfriend! What right does the boy's mother have to the photos?

tjb

In California, this boy is an adult! Are you saying that anything my adult children bring into my house, (when I searh their private stuff)NEVER, belongs to me? That is ridiculous.:mad: :mad: :mad:

justalayman

It sounds as if the problem is between the BF and his mom. The girl is out of the situation.

If BF wants the pics back, then he has to deal with mom.

CdwJava

tjb said:
Who do you think took the photos? The now 19-year old boyfriend! What right does the boy's mother have to the photos?
Well, YOU don't have a right to them ... and apparently the boy is not asserting his rights to the photos.

And I doubt he's going to call the police ... "Hey, my mom took the sexy photos I took of my underage girlfriend!"

Hmmm ...

- Carl

acmb05

In California, this boy is an adult! Are you saying that anything my adult children bring into my house, (when I searh their private stuff)NEVER, belongs to me? That is ridiculous.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Why in the hell would you search thru your adult childrens private belongings?

You are correct in your assumption though. Anything your adult children bring into your home is still thiers, and you have no right to it whatsoever.

"Private" belongings should remain in holder's own dwelling/storage/safe deposit box. Storing them in someone else's property takes the "private" out of the belongings.

Also, one would be an idiot not to search thru the "private" belongings of a minor child.

Last edited:

acmb05

"Private" belongings should remain in holder's own dwelling/storage/safe deposit box. Storing them in someone else's property takes the "private" out of the belongings.

Also, one would be an idiot not to search thru the "private" belongings of a minor child.
Well that is all well and good but she said her ADULT childrens belongings, And no just because it is in your home does not give you the right to go thru anyones things.

CdwJava

acmb05 said:
Well that is all well and good but she said her ADULT childrens belongings, And no just because it is in your home does not give you the right to go thru anyones things.
It's moot if the person whose belongings were violated does not take action. As I pointed out, junior is not likely to call the cops to report mom snagging his lingerie photos of his undergae girlfriend. Thus, the issue of whether mom has a right to them is meaningles ... she ahs them, and that's it.

Of course, if the "kid" still lives at home with mom he can either accept the rules of the house or find his own place to live. If that means he has to live with mom snooping through his stuff, then so be it. Unless he is prepared to move out, what's he to do?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">