• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee Legal Issues.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shiros

Alright, so, my girlfriend lives in Tennessee ( she's 16, I'm 16) she wants to run away. She lives in a ****ty neighbourhood, she's scared to go to school, her parents don't really do homeschool for her, her parents barely care about her and we (her, my parents, me) want to find someway to get her out of there. What's the legal running away age for Tennessee? Is there any other way to get her out of there and living with us, besides calling child services? She was thinking about Emancipation of a Minor, but that requires marriage. Whether or not the legal marrying age in TN is 16 or not, my parents wouldn't agree to marriage yet. I can't find anything online about this, and I'm really looking for help.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Neal1421

Shiros said:
Alright, so, my girlfriend lives in Tennessee ( she's 16, I'm 16) she wants to run away. She lives in a ****ty neighbourhood, she's scared to go to school, her parents don't really do homeschool for her, her parents barely care about her and we (her, my parents, me) want to find someway to get her out of there. What's the legal running away age for Tennessee? Is there any other way to get her out of there and living with us, besides calling child services? She was thinking about Emancipation of a Minor, but that requires marriage. Whether or not the legal marrying age in TN is 16 or not, my parents wouldn't agree to marriage yet. I can't find anything online about this, and I'm really looking for help.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
There is no legal age for someone to run away. She can legally leave when she turns 18.

If she leaves before then to live with you and your parents, you all could be in a lot of trouble. Tell her to sit tight until she turns 18.

If the situation is so bad that you think that she shouldn't be living there call CPS.

Happy Trails

Shiros said:
The legal age to leave home is 18.

Your parents could get into legal problems taking in someone else's child.

Shiros

There is legal ages for people to run away, in NY it's 16. So I was just curious, but, thanks for your help.

Shiros

From my mom, who happens to actually know a decent amount about this stuff, seeing as we live in NY. At the age of 16, a minor can run away, and live wherever they want and the parents can't do anything to get them back in the house. BUT, the parents are still responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the child.

Happy Trails

Shiros said:
From my mom, who happens to actually know a decent amount about this stuff, seeing as we live in NY. At the age of 16, a minor can run away, and live wherever they want and the parents can't do anything to get them back in the house. BUT, the parents are still responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the child.
Not true.

http://www.empirestatecoalition.org/parents.html

Go to : Q. IV.6

--------

The girl is still a minor and is under her parent's control. There are numerous charges that could be brought against your family. Transporting a minor across state lines, harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, interfering with parental rights. . . . . .

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LOL Mommy will be in even greater trouble if your g/f runs away in TN and ends up living with y'all in NY. But since she knows so much about how it works, she'll sort it out. :rolleyes:

L

leogirl

leave gf alone untill shes 18

Shiros said:
all 3 of you are asking for serious trouble. stop trying to encourage her to run away and live with you, before you all get slapped with restraining orders by her parents. as op's have stated she can live anywhere she wants when shes 18, untill then, her parents rule, and neither you, your parents or your gf can do anything about it.

magic55

I believe under NY law a minor can leave at 16 with parental permission, but I dont see how the parents could just not change their minds at anytime. Its a very risky game. I call child protective services.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
magic55 said:
I believe under NY law a minor can leave at 16 with parental permission, but I dont see how the parents could just not change their minds at anytime. Its a very risky game. I call child protective services.
But NY law is really moot - the child in question lives in TN.

CdwJava

Shiros said:
How did the two of you meet if you are in different states? Did she used to live in NY?

PLEASE tell me this is not one of those internet relationships! If the two of you have never met you have NO IDEA of her situation. Many people play games on the internet looking for a sympathetic ear. I have to deal with these situations with some frequency ... we even had one case where a coupel "fell in love" on line and the man came to CA from TN to sweep his 16-year-old "girlfriend" off her feet and take her away. As it turns out, his name and entire on-line persona (including photos of home, car and neighborhood) and "factual" information was false! He took her away to a state other than TN.

This story is repeated day in and day out for boy and girls.

So, caveat emptor! You and your parents can be sucked into the wonderful world of criminal justice (as suspects) even if you know all about her and it is all true.

- Carl

Happy Trails

I find it hard to believe the mother would be this stupid to even consider such a thing. What would she think if it was her child that someone wanted to take in without her permission?

CdwJava

Happy Trails said:
I find it hard to believe the mother would be this stupid to even consider such a thing. What would she think if it was her child that someone wanted to take in without her permission?
I have found that too many parents tend to believe their kids' friends without seeking any kind of confirmation. They hear a sob story and they want to believe the child because they are such a good girl (or boy) and the situation is so horrible.

Maybe I've been jaded by listening to kids tell intentional and blatant lies to friends, family, and even the police and the courts, all in an attempt to go live with some friend ... which is NOT what happens, but somehow there is this myth out there in kiddie-land that the courts will allow you stay with a friend if you are removed from the home! This is rare and is the extremely scarce exception rather than the rule.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">