• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Testimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

witchladdy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son witnessed a murder and of course has been called as a witness. My main concern is that it is gang related and the teenager is being tried as an adult so the court room is open to the public. I would like to know can my son just give written testimony instead of being on the stand I think it would be much safer for him. Please advise

seniorjudge

My son witnessed a murder and of course has been called as a witness. My main concern is that it is gang related and the teenager is being tried as an adult so the court room is open to the public. I would like to know can my son just give written testimony instead of being on the stand I think it would be much safer for him. Please advise
What did the prosecutor say when you asked your question?

CdwJava

The prosecutor can ask the court to arrange for a closed courtroom if safety concerns are reasonable and clearly articulated. It may not be possible, but if your son is a minor and this is a known gang with a history of violence it may be a viable option.

Written testimony is almost certainly right out since a written statement cannot be cross-examined. I seriously doubt the defense would agree to any such thing.

You can also seek assistance through Victim-Witness services in your county. They might have some avenues to help you out in this regard.

Good luck, and I applaud you and your son for doing the right thing by coming forward even if it is a scary thing. Evil will triumph when good people are too afraid to stand up and come forward.

The Occultist

Written testimony is almost certainly right out since a written statement cannot be cross-examined. I seriously doubt the defense would agree to any such thing.
You'd thinking with all our technology we'd have some sort of court instant messaging service set up.

Antigone*

A letter or written statement cannot be cross examined.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">