• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Thwarting Compulsory Attendance" in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimwill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My wife has been charged with "Thwarting Compulsory Attendance" in Texas. Our son had 10 absences from school over the last six months, and although she wrote him a note each time stating that he was sick, he did not turn the notes in at school. The school did not inform us that his absences were not excused. When I asked him why he didn't turn the absence notes in, he says he forgot. How should she plead to avoid any fines? Does Texas consider the parent to be guilty if the child fails to turn in excused absence notes?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

antrc170

What evidence does the parent have to support the claims the child was sick?

Plea "not guilty" and then gather evidence to support the defense. Doctors notes are always a great plus. In addition, receipts for medicine can help show that the child was sick and not able to attend. Although all of the absences may not be forgiven, most should be mitigated so that no fines are imposed.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My wife has been charged with "Thwarting Compulsory Attendance" in Texas. Our son had 10 absences from school over the last six months, and although she wrote him a note each time stating that he was sick, he did not turn the notes in at school. The school did not inform us that his absences were not excused. When I asked him why he didn't turn the absence notes in, he says he forgot. How should she plead to avoid any fines? Does Texas consider the parent to be guilty if the child fails to turn in excused absence notes?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why was only your wife charged and not you as well?:confused:

jimwill

Thanks for the advice.

I believe he only went to the doctor once during this six month period, so we could only get one receipt from his doctor. I doubt that would help much.

As for why only my wife was charged, I have no idea. She just received the letter in the mail yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">