• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tobacco paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

244face

California. My son (17) was arrested for being in possession of a cigarette lighter. He had it because he thought it looked cool (and it does). The lighter never worked and still could not light anything. Is there some defense I can use in court to get out of getting fined?

CdwJava

He should not have had it in his possession. In fact, had he been caught with it at school he might have been able to be suspended.

All he can do is go in and explain the story to the judge. If the judge makes a "true finding" (i.e. "guilty") the punishment is a very small fine ($75) and a few hours of community service (up to 30) ... and in some counties, a short tobacco awareness class.

- Carl

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He had it because he thought it looked cool (and it does).

That's a matter of opinion. It does not happen to be mine. There is nothing "cool" about cigarette lighters.

I hope "looking cool" was worth the consequences.

CdwJava

The place to keep hobby and "cool" looking items is at home.

Good thing for him he doesn't think knives or guns look cool! :eek:

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">