• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transporting a minor into a foreign country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x86

Minnesota.

Hi there! This past saturday I was detained by the local police department for questioning related to a string of car burglaries in the area. During this time, the officer took me into Canada ( I live right on the border) without my permission, or my dads. At the time, I was not under arrest, or even charged with any crime. I obviously don't know much about law, considering I am 16 years old, but is that legal for the officer to do? (his reasoning was that he needed to question another individual before he could release me from custody) The way I interpret it (which is, probably wrong...) is that he doesn't have jurisdiction in another country, and since he didnt have my parents permission, and I was not under arrest, that he had no right legally to take me to another state, let alone country. Would this be 'transporting a minor across state lines?' Also, since I was in the cop car, I was obviously locked in the back. That wouldn't be false imprisonment, would it (because of the fact we're in a different country and I was still chargeless?) Its also important that I mention I am on probation. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">