• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespass charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

420tt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If there's an old warehouse type building, with no fences/locks/trespass signs, abandoned - is it really trespass to go in the building?
Cops found us in this building skateboarding. They also said we vandalized it - with spray paint and by moving things to skate on. We didn't have any spray paint cans on us. There were some old ones around the place but they were obviously old. And the spray paint wasn't new. We didn't break anything we moved and there's old broken things in there anyway. So how can they have any proof for that?
Also, I'm 16, they took my skateboard and told my mom she could go see them to get it back....really...cops can just walk around robbing people? Why can they do that? There's skateboarding rules around but I (obviously) wasn't in a place where skateboarding is banned by those town rules...so I don't think they were using those rules to confiscate it.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If there's an old warehouse type building, with no fences/locks/trespass signs, abandoned - is it really trespass to go in the building?
Cops found us in this building skateboarding. They also said we vandalized it - with spray paint and by moving things to skate on. We didn't have any spray paint cans on us. There were some old ones around the place but they were obviously old. And the spray paint wasn't new. We didn't break anything we moved and there's old broken things in there anyway. So how can they have any proof for that?
Also, I'm 16, they took my skateboard and told my mom she could go see them to get it back....really...cops can just walking around robbing people? Why can they do that? There's skateboarding rules around but I (obviously) wasn't in a place where skateboarding is banned by those town rules...so I don't think they were using those rules to confiscate it.
Of course it is.

If it's not YOUR building, and no one has given you specific permission or authorization to enter, it really is trespassing to enter the building.

And part of them confiscating the skateboard is likely to ensure your parents' involvement in what happens next. I'm thinking that if your parents actually have to go down and collect your skateboard, then your punishment may well be that much more severe for you causing them to waste their time having to do it.

Tell your parents to get you an attorney.

420tt

I thought there was something about that sort of building needing signs or something?

And part of them confiscating the skateboard is likely to ensure your parents' involvement in what happens next.
How is that even a legal thing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I thought there was something about that sort of building needing signs or something?

How is it legal for you to decide that YOU have the right to enter buildings that YOU do not own or have permission to use for your own business? Oh yeah, it is not legal. It is trespassing. You knew you didn't own the building or have permission from the OWNER of said property to be there yet you still entered. How is you entering a legal thing? Maybe the pot has destroyed your brain.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oooohh, sweetpea... The cops know you. As a troublemaker. All we need to do is read your pp. https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/running-police-583140.html

Yes, please ask your parents to help you find a lawyer.

CdwJava

There are no signs on my house, or my neighbor's, but if you go inside those without permission you WILL be arrested. Signs are not required in all situations.

They are seizing an instrument of trespassing or vandalism and holding it as evidence and agreeing to release it back to a responsible adult. If you want to fight it, hire an attorney. And understand that one day mom and dad are going to get tired of dealing with your problems. When you are 18 you will be on your own ... good luck.

420tt

There are no signs on my house, or my neighbor's, but if you go inside those without permission you WILL be arrested. Signs are not required in all situations.
Well yeah. This one is just junk, abandoned.

They are seizing an instrument of trespassing or vandalism and holding it as evidence and agreeing to release it back to a responsible adult.
Hmm. ok. Good thing I got more than 1.

And understand that one day mom and dad are going to get tired of dealing with your problems.
I don't cause that many problems.

I don't get how they say we vandalized it? The place is all junk. And if we were trespassing we can't own stuff that's been sitting around in there for months (the spray paint).

420tt

How is it legal for you to decide that YOU have the right to enter buildings that YOU do not own or have permission to use for your own business? Oh yeah, it is not legal. It is trespassing. You knew you didn't own the building or have permission from the OWNER of said property to be there yet you still entered. How is you entering a legal thing? Maybe the pot has destroyed your brain.
It don't look like anybody owns it. No one who cares about it anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some 16 year olds have the maturity to understand this, but there isn't one present in this discussion.

Banned_Princess

Well yeah. This one is just junk, abandoned.

Hmm. ok. Good thing I got more than 1.

I don't cause that many problems.

I don't get how they say we vandalized it? The place is all junk. And if we were trespassing we can't own stuff that's been sitting around in there for months (the spray paint).
Get a lawyer youngin. The vandalism might be dropped. The cops can charge you with anything they think of. A charge doesn't mean guilty, it means a charge. Get a lawyer to get the best outcome. You might also remember that free advice as you advance to misdemeanors then felonies as an adult.

Just because a place is deserted and destroyed, doesn't mean you can just go in there and have your stupid teenage fun. I'm kinda hoping you see some time in your JUV det center. You really need to clean up your act kid.

420tt

Some 16 year olds have the maturity to understand this, but there isn't one present in this discussion.
Honestly, I thought there was something to do with trespassing and signs/locks/fences and all that. I'll look for what I thought. The charge is like 602 PC or something. Or 620.

Get a lawyer youngin. The vandalism might be dropped. The cops can charge you with anything they think of. A charge doesn't mean guilty, it means a charge. Get a lawyer to get the best outcome.
Ok.

You might also remember that free advice as you advance to misdemeanors then felonies as an adult.
I'm not that bad. This is like the only thing I've done in months, and it's hardly even a thing.

You guys are the ones who think the 420=pot.

So by that logic, you could go around killing the homeless and prostitutes. Who cares about them anyway. nobody. So therefore I can just do whatever I want.
That's just stupid. People care about the homeless and prostitutes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Honestly, I thought there was something to do with trespassing and signs/locks/fences and all that. I'll look for what I thought. The charge is like 602 PC or something. Or 620.

Ok.

I'm not that bad. This is like the only thing I've done in months, and it's hardly even a thing.

You guys are the ones who think the 420=pot.

That's just stupid. People care about the homeless and prostitutes.
Yet in August you were running from the cops by jumping over their vehicles and maybe causing damage. And 420 does = pot. Don't treat us like we are stupid, child.

420tt

Yet in August you were running from the cops by jumping over their vehicles and maybe causing damage. And 420 does = pot. Don't treat us like we are stupid, child.
That was months ago. And there was no damage. That's not why **I** put 420.

What does this mean: "with the specific intent to interfere with that person's property rights." ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">