• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespass Warning for going to an R rated movie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My daughter who is 15 and a sophomore in high school went with some friends to a movie. After purchasing a ticket they went into an R rated horror movie instead of the movie they had purchased the ticket for. The theater contacted the police and they took their picture got their name and phone number and told them they were banned from the theater for one week. Now a week later they were all pulled out of class at their high school and the school safety officer made them all sign a trespass warning from the local police department that states if they go anywhere in the shopping center for one year they will be arrested. Neither the school nor the PD has contacted my wife or me. While I don't condone what she has done, and felt the one week ban was just, I feel what they are doing now is extreme and excessive. Do I have any legal options? Or since the shopping center is private property and the police are involved am I left without any recourse?

JETX

Do I have any legal options?
Nope.

Or since the shopping center is private property and the police are involved am I left without any recourse?
Exactly. It is PRIVATE property and the owner or agent of that property has the right to tell your little idiot "Rules aren't for me!" daughter that her 'business' is not wanted.

Ninja

Nope.

Exactly. It is PRIVATE property and the owner or agent of that property has the right to tell your little idiot "Rules aren't for me!" daughter that her 'business' is not wanted.
So you feel the punishment fits the "crime"?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Given that most school-age kids don't go out to the movies except on the weekend, I certainly don't think a week was any punishment at all. What - she'd miss going one weekend. A year's "banishment" may drive the point home that what she did was wrong. But regardless what we think - it's the owner's right to bar her should he choose to.

Of course, if it was my kid, it would be about that long before I'd allow him/her to go to a movie unsupervised anyway.

Ninja

Given that most school-age kids don't go out to the movies except on the weekend, I certainly don't think a week was any punishment at all. What - she'd miss going one weekend. A year's "banishment" may drive the point home that what she did was wrong. But regardless what we think - it's the owner's right to bar her should he choose to.

Of course, if it was my kid, it would be about that long before I'd allow him/her to go to a movie unsupervised anyway.
Wow, maybe I'm not strict enough. But she doesn't drink, smoke, never been in any kind of trouble and has good grades. I could understand if the movie theatre was off limits but the whole shopping center seems extreme to me. Is it common for a merchant to be able to prevent someone from not coming only on their premises but the whole shopping complex? I guess we will not be able to go out to eat as a family to any of the restaurants, or patronize any of the other establishments in the shopping center when she is with us for a year if that is the case.

JETX

Wow, maybe I'm not strict enough. But she doesn't drink, smoke, never been in any kind of trouble and has good grades.
Wow!!! All that and she is just 15!!!
Oh, except for that last 'never been in any kind of trouble', huh???

I could understand if the movie theatre was off limits but the whole shopping center seems extreme to me.
Can't you get it through that thick skull of yours... what you think has NOTHING to do with this.
See, she made the conscious (presumably) decision to break the 'rules'... and it is entirely up to them if the want to allow her on THEIR property. It really doesn't give a crap about what you think is fair, extreme, or even right.
If you don't like their rules... go build your own shopping center and you can make your own rules.

Is it common for a merchant to be able to prevent someone from not coming only on their premises but the whole shopping complex?
If the owner or representative of the 'whole shopping complex' wants to ban her for life... they have that LEGAL right.

I guess we will not be able to go out to eat as a family to any of the restaurants, or patronize any of the other establishments in the shopping center when she is with us for a year if that is the case.
Gee... I think you are FINALLY getting it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

Wow, maybe I'm not strict enough. But she doesn't drink, smoke, never been in any kind of trouble and has good grades. I could understand if the movie theatre was off limits but the whole shopping center seems extreme to me.
She committed a crime IN THE SHOPPING CENTER. The center has the right as you've already been told.
Is it common for a merchant to be able to prevent someone from not coming only on their premises but the whole shopping complex?
Absolutely.
I guess we will not be able to go out to eat as a family to any of the restaurants, or patronize any of the other establishments in the shopping center when she is with us for a year if that is the case.
That's what your little angel cost you. So, the next time you go out to eat or shop at the establishment, leave her tresspassing butt at home.

Or would you rather the shopping center decide not to punish criminals and insure a safe shopping environment for you and your family?

JETX

Wow, maybe I'm not strict enough. But she doesn't drink, smoke, never been in any kind of trouble and has good grades.
Wow!!! All wonderful attributes, but then she is ONLY 15 years old!!! I would certainly hope that she doesn't drink or smoke.

As for her 'never been in any kind of trouble', what do you call sneaking into an R rated movie that she didn't purchase tickets for and then getting a 'no trespassing' notice??
Oh, I guess you forgot that little 'trouble', huh??

Bottom line here... as has been said MANY times already.
The theater and/or shopping center has the legal right to restrict access to anyone who they consider an 'undesirable'. Your daughters conduct brought this on. If you are pissed at anyone, it should be your daughter... not the theater.

I could understand if the movie theatre was off limits but the whole shopping center seems extreme to me.
And of course, your 'opinion' of too extreme means absolutely NOTHING.

If the management of the 'whole complex' thinks it is appropriate, yes.

I guess we will not be able to go out to eat as a family to any of the restaurants, or patronize any of the other establishments in the shopping center when she is with us for a year if that is the case.[/qutoe]
Awww..... poor baby. Rather than place the blame where it belongs (your daughter), you are going to allow that little twit's conduct to control your family. Shame on you.

S

shutyourface

this girl deserves punishment by parents too

So you feel the punishment fits the "crime"?
this is probaly the only punishment this girl will get. obviously her parents wont punish her, and she will end up doing something like this again. or something worse. and her parents will blame everyone but their precious little girl, the one who was at fault.:mad:

Last edited:

gawm

Kids will be kids. Why is it such a big deal? Go to another shopping center. You don't live in that small of a town where that is the only movie place and shopping center, do you?

Kids will be kids. Why is it such a big deal?

Yep, Kids will be kids...

And the sooner kids learn that there will be consequences to their actions, the better!

I agree with stealth...my kids would be lucky to see the backyard for at least that week (on top of being banished from the shopping center!) unless they are cleaning out the gutters, mowing the lawn, cleaning the screens and windows, weeding the garden.....etc.

My version of grounded/punishment includes hard labor!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">