• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing, Alcohol, Littering, Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joeyv415

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
Hi there everybody, Joe here. This is my first post, I'm 17 years young.
I hope that this isn't too long for everyone to read, I'll try to keep it short.
Sorry if I should have searched before posting, but I wanted my particular story heard.

I'm on probation at the moment. My first arrest occurred approximately one year ago. I was living in an abandoned apartment complex. Arrested for criminal trespass, and breach of peace. Second arrest came not very long after that. I had been banned from the local mall for stealing gloves for two homeless girls. I came back to the mall for a haircut, was spotted by mall security, and arrested for criminal trespass. That second arrest was a violation of probation. I served one weekend in Cheshire Juvenile Detention.

I straitened out, and finally stopped moping around the house. I began hanging with a new group of friends my age. Well, since I had been abstaining from hard drugs and cannabis I figured I would indulge in a brew here and there. To make a long story short we drank in some woods by an elementary school. I was waiting for my ride in the parking lot when the police came. I was polite, and spoke to them. I was so nice, that I was the only one not brought to the station, and left with a $540 fine. FOR: Littering (cans) Trespassing on state property, and possession of alcohol by minor.

So I'm worried that I'll get a violation of probation. What steps can I take to increase my chances of only having to pay this ticket? I am in the process of finding a job, and my mother lives on my deceased fathers social security.. The money to pay this ticket will be so hard to get that its overwhelming to think that there will be MORE consequences. I'm wondering that if it IS a violation of probation, WILL I be able to trade Juvi for Rehab?

I'm 5'3'' white... I do not like the idea of staying in Detention longer than what I had to endure that weekend. :eek: I know I should probably tell my probation officer Immediately, right? I waited until today (my appointment) but he wasn't there. I've felt hopeless in this system of court and jail for so long. I finally got out of it and have been trying to do better, and now I'm going to go back in. The last time I got a lawyer I spent my whole savings and got the same sentence I would have gotten without him.

I have thought about running, but I know thats not the mature thing to do. I'm going to face this one way or another but do any of you have any advise as to what I can do to lesson the sentence? I'm sorry if I sound like a whiny kid. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
I'm so sorry the post got so long. Thank you for reading, even if you don't post an answer!

"Well, since I had been abstaining from hard drugs and cannabis I figured I would indulge in a brew here and there."

That is a really sh***y idea. You are 17 you don't get to drink at all.

"I'm wondering that if it IS a violation of probation, WILL I be able to trade Juvi for Rehab?"

Look at your paperwork you received when you were placed on probation. It should say any contact with the police at all needs to be reported. Breaking any law is a violation of probation. The rehab route is up to the DA and the judge.

I think the site you are looking for is getoutofmysentence.com. To be honest it looks pretty bleak for you. You have been arrested for trespassing, theft, and now another trespassing charge. The judge is going to be justified in thinking you have not learned your lesson yet. If being locked down is what scares you the most than that might be what is best for you. Take your punishment knowing that it will only make you better in the end if you accept that it is because of your actions. The choices you make today are going to affect you the rest of your life.

Faerie64

Dang kid. I hope you find your way soon.

Seeeeeeee...I keep saying kids that are non-violent offenders need not be held completely culpable for their crimes. It is a proven fact that teenagers frontal lobes (thats part of the brain for those of you not in the know) are not fully developed and the frontal lobe is what controls:

Controls impulses
==> Controls judgment
==> Language production
==> Working memory
==> Motor function
==> Working the memory
==> Problem solving
==> Socialization
==> Spontaneity
==> Planning
==> Coordination
==> Controlling
==> Executing behavior

anyway...good luck kid. Be careful! They will try you as an adult for felonious behavior in Connecticut! And if you keep messing up the misdemeanor that is what will happen!

Joeyv415

I'm sorry for sounding like I don't think I deserve a sentence. I tried my hardest NOT to sound like that, but I guess I should have worded things differently. See, I'm a middle class kid, my mom works as a lunch lady at an elementary school. I'm not eligible to be provided a lawyer.. We also don't have enough money to afford one for this case.

I see my life as trial and error. I know that I have made progress. I know that I am a smart kid when I put my mind to things. I just keep messing up. I'd just like to be a normal teenage kid.. I guess I screwed that up. I've wasted all of my chances. I can't keep drinking, especially if I'm going to be vulnerable, out in the open. I have not used Oxycontin or crack, for at least six months. I Have gone to school, I have lived at home. I have mended the terrible relationship I had with my mom. I don't want your sympathy I just want some recognition!

I had finally figured out how to be happy while conforming to what society expects me to be. See I am big into counter culture philosophies, and non conformity. If I could get away with never wearing a brand name item of clothing, ripping up my social security card, and living in a building not taxed by the government, I would. I have.. but I CAN'T.

I'm not some jackass kid that doesn't care about those around me. I strive to better myself, increase my knowledge on politics, laws, history. I'm one of millions of kids that probably think the same way. How can we help ourselves to be happy? I just can't seem to get my life on track no matter what I do, I always get caught doing something stupid.
I have been dependent on one substance or another since eighth grade. I cut down my use throughout the years and at the time of this arrest I only drank on weekend. I feel HOPELESS and I have for a while now. I'm starting to believe that the world and systems that we all are born into are too much for me.

My question is WHAT can I do, to show this judge that I've had enough of this. I've had enough of this counseling every single day. I'll stop drinking tomorrow, just let me live my life and die. Let me find information that I find interested, let me learn, and teach those around me, let me experience love, and let me die. I'm sick and tired of being punished for the past couple of YEARS for simple trespassing. I'm through with that life, how can I prove to this judge that I'm done? How can I keep myself from going to jail this last time? I've had it, and I'm feeling so hopeless right now that I'd rather sleep my life away than to live it in fear of being put in a cell for walking on land that is not mine, or altering my state of mind. I've been to counseling, I'm sick of all of this.

Where do you go when life is too much for you to handle, and when you think about it, your only 17, you have so many more years of this, and you'd rather not be here at all. What do you do? I guess I should go to detention, huh? But inside of there is only a bit more sickening than the outside.

I hope my rambling thoughts entertain at least some of you. Has anyone felt like this? I guess when it comes down to it I'd just like to enjoy life... like any other teenager.. I don't want to grow up just yet..

Faerie64

I think *maybe* if you put in writing what you wrote here and then read it to the judge, you might get lucky and be given a bit of a break. You'll probably still have to jump through some hoops, but thats just the crappy way the judicial system works. There will always be the scapegoat, and there will always be someone who will want to put you through the ringer.

In the meantime, it would also look good for you if you did some volunteer work. There are, after all, people that have if far harder than you out there. So get in there and get dirty a bit. Do some soup kitchen duty, or help at a habitat for humanity house being built. Anything that will show that you have some sort of moral fiber and that you give a damn about someone other than yourself always helps. And, in it, might give you some idea that what you have isn't all that bad, so stop sabotaging yourself at every turn and live life like you want to live it!

Do I think you'll turn it aroud? Sure. Same way I think my own 17 yr old son will. I guess he probably thinks I suck too, but no one is perfect and to a large extent, he (and you)controls what happens in your life. I'm sure your mom didn't take you by the hand and give you street drugs and alcohol or lead you through private property (at least I hope she didn't!).

See the big picture. I know that is so hard for you to grasp at your age, but I think for you and kids like you in a bit of hot water, it is life perserving! Decide where you might like to be in 5 years and tell the judge!

Good luck Joey. I sure hope you come back here and keep me posted on what is going on in your life!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I think *maybe* if you put in writing what you wrote here and then read it to the judge, you might get lucky and be given a bit of a break. You'll probably still have to jump through some hoops, but thats just the crappy way the judicial system works. There will always be the scapegoat, and there will always be someone who will want to put you through the ringer.
The crappy way? He broke the law. Just because he is a scrawny white Connecticut boy doesn't mean he gets breaks.

In the meantime, it would also look good for you if you did some volunteer work. There are, after all, people that have if far harder than you out there. So get in there and get dirty a bit. Do some soup kitchen duty, or help at a habitat for humanity house being built. Anything that will show that you have some sort of moral fiber and that you give a damn about someone other than yourself always helps. And, in it, might give you some idea that what you have isn't all that bad, so stop sabotaging yourself at every turn and live life like you want to live it!
And that doesn't change the law.

Do I think you'll turn it aroud? Sure. Same way I think my own 17 yr old son will. I guess he probably thinks I suck too, but no one is perfect and to a large extent, he (and you)controls what happens in your life. I'm sure your mom didn't take you by the hand and give you street drugs and alcohol or lead you through private property (at least I hope she didn't!).
Your 17 year old son -- well he needs to get a job. Though I thought he was 16 in your other post. Or are you raising two felons?

See the big picture. I know that is so hard for you to grasp at your age, but I think for you and kids like you in a bit of hot water, it is life perserving! Decide where you might like to be in 5 years and tell the judge!
And the judge is not going to care what he says quite frankly because he will still be punished per the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dang kid. I hope you find your way soon.

Seeeeeeee...I keep saying kids that are non-violent offenders need not be held completely culpable for their crimes. It is a proven fact that teenagers frontal lobes (thats part of the brain for those of you not in the know) are not fully developed and the frontal lobe is what controls:

Controls impulses
==> Controls judgment
==> Language production
==> Working memory
==> Motor function
==> Working the memory
==> Problem solving
==> Socialization
==> Spontaneity
==> Planning
==> Coordination
==> Controlling
==> Executing behavior

anyway...good luck kid. Be careful! They will try you as an adult for felonious behavior in Connecticut! And if you keep messing up the misdemeanor that is what will happen!

But you know what -- first graders know the difference between right and wrong. They know they get in trouble when they steal. Hence the problem with your argument. Teenagers need to be held responsible or they grow up to be sociopaths and psychopaths who believe that the world should bend to their whims.

Faerie64

The crappy way? He broke the law. Just because he is a scrawny white Connecticut boy doesn't mean he gets breaks.

And that doesn't change the law.

Your 17 year old son -- well he needs to get a job. Though I thought he was 16 in your other post. Or are you raising two felons?

And the judge is not going to care what he says quite frankly because he will still be punished per the law.

and who are you exactly? Its people like you that bring kids down. As in, if you tell them they are bad, over and over, they will become what you say they are.

I am trying to encourage this kid to do some things that will help him help himself. There is zero wrong with that. Maybe a judge would appreciate the effort or maybe they won't, but in the end, it will help the kid either way.

And no, my son was 16 (barely, had only been 16 for two weeks) when the crime was committed. He is 17 now. And no one knows better than I how he suffers because of this.

He'd love to get a job. Are YOU going to give him, a teenaged felon without a drivers license, A JOB? NO? Then shut up. You are no different than any of the other people who have looked down their noses at my son and at this kid that came on here and asked FOR SOME HELP.

I never said either one of them, my son or this kid here, that they didn't deserve to be punished. I just think, rather, that for a non violent criminal, their futures need to be taken into consideration. Setting them up for failure is no help to our society. Giving them a way to rehabilitate and find some self esteem again, is a help. Perhaps if you thought in the same manner, you would not come off so, uh, well, judgmental, rude and mean.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
and who are you exactly? Its people like you that bring kids down. As in, if you tell them they are bad, over and over, they will become what you say they are.
Boy you don't know me at all. I am an attorney Guardian Ad Litem that works in juvenile court. I don't believe in children hiding behind the fact that they are only a teenager or hiding behind their mother's skirts. I represent teenagers. i am telling this child exactly what a judge will tell him. It doesn't matter that he is a scrawny white boy in Connecticut and that he doesn't want to go to detention. If he makes excuses and doesn't take responsibility for his actions a judge will POUND HIM.

I am trying to encourage this kid to do some things that will help him help himself. There is zero wrong with that. Maybe a judge would appreciate the effort or maybe they won't, but in the end, it will help the kid either way.
How? By allowing a child to hide behind whatever excuse they can think of because someone like you will falsely build their ego and make excuses as to why they should be allowed to be a felon and get in even bigger trouble down the road? Oh. Okay. Here is a clue for you: THAT DOES NOT HELP.

And no, my son was 16 (barely, had only been 16 for two weeks) when the crime was committed. He is 17 now. And no one knows better than I how he suffers because of this.

Really? Because he should know how he suffers a lot better than you do. If he had an idea of right and wrong then he wouldn't have broken the law to begin with.

He'd love to get a job. Are YOU going to give him, a teenaged felon without a drivers license, A JOB? NO? Then shut up.
I now see the major problem with your child. You.

You are no different than any of the other people who have looked down their noses at my son and at this kid that came on here and asked FOR SOME HELP.
Sorry but wrong. I am not looking down my nose at anybody. I am giving him a dose of reality which is what a judge will do -- except even harsher than I. I have seen it.

I never said either one of them, my son or this kid here, that they didn't deserve to be punished. I just think, rather, that for a non violent criminal, their futures need to be taken into consideration. Setting them up for failure is no help to our society.
And if the parents of these children had provided them with a proper foundation and boundaries and guidelines then they wouldn't be facing punishment. Who set them up for failure? It was not the court system. By the time they get there, the parents have already failed at their jobs. Look in the mirror. Why did your child have an idea that it was fine to commit the felony that he did? It was not because a judge or an attorney told him so or because he faced a punishment. The person/people who set these CHILDREN up for failure -- that begins at home.

Giving them a way to rehabilitate and find some self esteem again, is a help. Perhaps if you thought in the same manner, you would not come off so, uh, well, judgmental, rude and mean.
Oh well. I am honest. I don't inflate egos unnecessarily. I don't tell children that everything will be all right and that they can do what they want to do. I will leave that to misguided parents. And then I or one of my contemporaries will end up cleaning up the mess. Congrats.

Faerie64

Well, thank you for your honesty.

Really? Parents are not always to blame. My son has a stable home, parents that work very hard for what they have and have never, in any way, made my son feel like breaking the law was or is an okay thing to do. We have tried very hard over the years to make sure that we instilled in our children the difference between right and wrong and some semblance of a moral code. We were *very* shocked and disappointed that he decided it would be okay to do what he did. As I was told by other parents in the same sort of position that we are in.....even a murderer has a mom (or parents) that love him or her. sometimes, I guess, it just wasn't enough for whatever reason.

I have no CLUE as to why he thought it was okay to go along with those ridiculous shenanigans and break into some poor sods house. Perhaps he succumbed to peer pressure. maybe he thought it was a cool thing to do. Really, I think its because he didn't think at all. He didn't think (or know to think as most teenagers in the state of NC) that doing such would affect his entire future. He didn't think how this would affect his entire family. He just DIDN'T think. Its a typical teenage disease in some respects.

And, I do think he should be punished. But is setting a fee for a kid that is now a convicted felon, knowing good and well probably, that he won't be able to get a job....how exactly is that punishing him in a way that will help him not be so misguided in the future? I was hoping that he would have to serve community service or the like. At least then, he would have to open his eyes and see that there are people out there who don't have, in even the slightest way, what he has, and that maybe in the process he would learn valuable lessons?

No. What has happened is that he has become increasingly frustrated and jaded and depressed. I have never seen my son cry so much in his entire life as he has in the last year. I just don't know what to do for him!

So, whats your best advice?

Faerie64

yeah, I just realized that I was hijacking.

Sorry, I'm off of the subject for Joey. Will keep all my stuff to my own thread.

goodluck Joey!

You want some good advice.

Go to the local recruiters office, enlist for four years. That should straighten all that B.S. nonconformist crap out of you.

News flash, if millions of kids are doing the same thing as you then you are not a nonconformist.

Any branch of the military is going to make a real man out of you or seal your dirtbag coffin with that final nail of failure. That will be up to you though.

By the way, not wearing any name brand clothes and living in a building that the government does not tax is also called prison. You are headed that way for sure unless you get your act together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">