• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trouble with school that doesnt end

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauras2u

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son is 12 yrs old and in 6th grade. His grades are not good...is a rough age group but his kind of troubles in school have always been mischievous in nature...like sticking a note to vice pricipal's back saying 'kick me' which earned him a 3 day suspendion. Other problems have been mostly talking or not listening.

One thing is for sure, son is a science nerd and he told his teacher all about his 3rd grade science fair project where he made radio waves using only an iron file, electric wire and batteries. He had asked the teacher if she had anything iron to do this with...she didnt. While she was on the phone and he was not suppose to be doing anythign else but entertaining himself, he put a file wire and batteries on his desk and put them together. The teacher after the phone call was told by another student that they were there and she asked my son for the file...which he unwrapped the wire from and handed over.

The next day we already had parent teacher conference scheduled so my husband (childs father) went to this and we discovered he was suspended from school for 2 weeks for having a 'weapon' in school. Now I did carefully explain to my son that schools have had troubles with students in the past and they had to be cautious...he was confused as this was his 3rd grade science fair project not a weapon at all. No mention at the meeting with teacher or pricipal said anything else was going to happen.

That was a friday and we were not contacted by the school til the following wednesday...around 1pm i received a call from pricipal and i attempted to return this call at 3:30 but school was closed...but pricipal and one other person (not sure who) were at my front door. They informed me they needed a statement from my son to be written up. He complied.

On friday we received another call, they were going to have a meeting of the school board to discuss expulsion for this. We also received a letter. They stated that there was a hearing the following tuesday about it and offered to let us attend. My husband said tuesday was bad for him but they insisted that it be tuesday as the meeting of the board was on friday.

My husband took off work and attended. At the meeting, they read every bad act he ever did into record...recorded it with 2 tape recorders and a stenographer. They took a copy of the book with the science project in it and pretty much made my son want to puke from tension.

Thursday we received a call from the school saying the board meeting was postponed to tuesday (another day off). Since they could only suspend my son for 2 weeks he would be allowed to go to another school on monday and tueday if we desired.

Friday I insisted we contact an lawyer...this was going on and on and we seemed to have no part in it. As we hung up the phone from making the appointment we had a call from the district office. They said they thought no harm was intended so he could go back to school on monday. I thought it was finally over. UGH

Friday we found out they were going to change his classroom to 'protect' another child...i assume the child that told the teacher bout the file. Ok well my son liked this he was going to his friends class which i think he liked...but i also suspect this is the 'bad kids' class but as long as he was happy...

This is his first week in the new class, thursday he was called from lunch to speak to coucilor about wanting to hurt another child. He had been unaware that this was his intention and it upset him. I called the principal and i told her that by now it should be clear they made a mistake but they were continuing to give him a hard time over it. I requested she make just as much effort to clear up the misunderstanding with everyone in the school as she used to inform them of the 'weapon'. She assured me changing my sons class was to insure his success and they only wanted good things etc.

Today, my sons gym teacher told him somoene should have kicked his butt...do i need to call the lawyers to make this stop...how do i stop it!

seniorjudge

lauras2u said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son is 12 yrs old and in 6th grade. His grades are not good...is a rough age group but his kind of troubles in school have always been mischievous in nature...like sticking a note to vice pricipal's back saying 'kick me' which earned him a 3 day suspendion. Other problems have been mostly talking or not listening.

One thing is for sure, son is a science nerd and he told his teacher all about his 3rd grade science fair project where he made radio waves using only an iron file, electric wire and batteries. He had asked the teacher if she had anything iron to do this with...she didnt. While she was on the phone and he was not suppose to be doing anythign else but entertaining himself, he put a file wire and batteries on his desk and put them together. The teacher after the phone call was told by another student that they were there and she asked my son for the file...which he unwrapped the wire from and handed over.

The next day we already had parent teacher conference scheduled so my husband (childs father) went to this and we discovered he was suspended from school for 2 weeks for having a 'weapon' in school. Now I did carefully explain to my son that schools have had troubles with students in the past and they had to be cautious...he was confused as this was his 3rd grade science fair project not a weapon at all. No mention at the meeting with teacher or pricipal said anything else was going to happen.

That was a friday and we were not contacted by the school til the following wednesday...around 1pm i received a call from pricipal and i attempted to return this call at 3:30 but school was closed...but pricipal and one other person (not sure who) were at my front door. They informed me they needed a statement from my son to be written up. He complied.

On friday we received another call, they were going to have a meeting of the school board to discuss expulsion for this. We also received a letter. They stated that there was a hearing the following tuesday about it and offered to let us attend. My husband said tuesday was bad for him but they insisted that it be tuesday as the meeting of the board was on friday.

My husband took off work and attended. At the meeting, they read every bad act he ever did into record...recorded it with 2 tape recorders and a stenographer. They took a copy of the book with the science project in it and pretty much made my son want to puke from tension.

Thursday we received a call from the school saying the board meeting was postponed to tuesday (another day off). Since they could only suspend my son for 2 weeks he would be allowed to go to another school on monday and tueday if we desired.

Friday I insisted we contact an lawyer...this was going on and on and we seemed to have no part in it. As we hung up the phone from making the appointment we had a call from the district office. They said they thought no harm was intended so he could go back to school on monday. I thought it was finally over. UGH

Friday we found out they were going to change his classroom to 'protect' another child...i assume the child that told the teacher bout the file. Ok well my son liked this he was going to his friends class which i think he liked...but i also suspect this is the 'bad kids' class but as long as he was happy...

This is his first week in the new class, thursday he was called from lunch to speak to coucilor about wanting to hurt another child. He had been unaware that this was his intention and it upset him. I called the principal and i told her that by now it should be clear they made a mistake but they were continuing to give him a hard time over it. I requested she make just as much effort to clear up the misunderstanding with everyone in the school as she used to inform them of the 'weapon'. She assured me changing my sons class was to insure his success and they only wanted good things etc.

Today, my sons gym teacher told him somoene should have kicked his butt...do i need to call the lawyers to make this stop...how do i stop it!

Did you have a legal question?

lauras2u

The decision by the district was that no harm was intended...i believe the correct one. I am pretty sure they had a few meetings at the school to discuss the child with a weapon...Dont they have some responsibility to protect him as well? Should his teachers be allowed to pick on him?

If they have any reason at all to think he was going to harm someone else, dont i have a right to know bout it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">