• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truancy in Ohio with doctor's notes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agunnells1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 9-year old has some health problems. She has missed alot of school because of them. Not only that but she also had surgery about a month into this school year. All-in-all she has missed more days than normal. I have had a doctor's note for all appointments and when she is sick. Plus, she loves school.

The school sent her to the truancy officer and I got a letter from them just notifying me of what can happen if she continues to miss school. Since the letter she has missed just a couple days because of pneumonia.

My question is: If she has doctor's notes and a medical reason, what can the truancy officer do? Sorry, this is the first time I have had to deal with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 9-year old has some health problems. She has missed alot of school because of them. Not only that but she also had surgery about a month into this school year. All-in-all she has missed more days than normal. I have had a doctor's note for all appointments and when she is sick. Plus, she loves school.

The school sent her to the truancy officer and I got a letter from them just notifying me of what can happen if she continues to miss school. Since the letter she has missed just a couple days because of pneumonia.

My question is: If she has doctor's notes and a medical reason, what can the truancy officer do? Sorry, this is the first time I have had to deal with this.
Have you discussed these issues with the school? You may wish to explore implementing a 504 plan.

agunnells1

Have you discussed these issues with the school? You may wish to explore implementing a 504 plan.
I have tried but they seem to ignore me. When a student misses so many days, you get a letter. I noticed in the letter that after so many days the school can have her make up time out of regular school hours. I have requested that but they seem to just ignore the request.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have tried but they seem to ignore me. When a student misses so many days, you get a letter. I noticed in the letter that after so many days the school can have her make up time out of regular school hours. I have requested that but they seem to just ignore the request.
Write a letter the principal and ask for a tutor due to the medical issues. Also ask for a 504 plan. In addition, keep copies of all the excuses and the letter requesting implementation of a 504 plan.

agunnells1

Write a letter the principal and ask for a tutor due to the medical issues. Also ask for a 504 plan. In addition, keep copies of all the excuses and the letter requesting implementation of a 504 plan.
I will have to do that. I have never heard of the 504 plan until now. I have a feeling they will give me the run around. Another thing I was curious about is the fact my daughter had chest pain, coughing really bad and a headache and they refused to call me yesterday. I could have brought her home gave her the medication and took her back to school. Pretty much the teacher made a medical decision on my kid.

Will the 504 plan cover her problems? She has allergies, asthma, high cholesterol and severe IBS.

FlyingRon

You should research 504 plans. Around here, even the threat of a 504 complaint is enough to get the attention of the school. To qualify for a 504 plan the student must have mental or physical impairment that "substantially" limits one or more major life activities. It's broader than the definitions that would ordinarily cause a special ed IEP.

There are attorneys that specialize in these kind of issues. Look for one locally that specializes in education law if you can't get any traction from the school or the district. In the past, I've found I had to go stand in the counsellor's outer office to button hole him into meeting with me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">