• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mvmeli

My name is MM. I am 17 and turning 18 on February 16th. I am a senior in high school in the state of Arizona. I have a legal diagnosis of Aspergers and ADHD.

My parents are overly concerned about me. I have a 3.9 GPA but they literally criticize me about getting 95%'s on tests. My mother keeps harassing me about making me sign a Educational Power of Attorney. However, I don't want anyone to take my rights away.

What can I do to secure my legal independence at age 18, or am I completely untouchable? And is there some sort of document I can sign that automatically nullifies any attempt my parents can use to try to get guardianship over me?

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

You don't have to sign anything. When you turn 18, you are free to make your own decisions. Of course, your family is free to throw you out on your own if you don't want to play by their rules.

mvmeli

You don't have to sign anything. When you turn 18, you are free to make your own decisions. Of course, your family is free to throw you out on your own if you don't want to play by their rules.
I follow the rules like taking out the trash in stuff, but it's life decisions like if I want to go to college vs a technical school. Can they kick me out for that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I follow the rules like taking out the trash in stuff, but it's life decisions like if I want to go to college vs a technical school. Can they kick me out for that?
They can kick you out for any (or no) reason at all. At 18 you are an adult. Of course, they will have to follow the law with regards to evicting you, so it's not like you'll be kicked out overnight...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My advice would be to not use anything resembling your name on internet forums.

There used to be an online forum, "Aspies For Freedom", that offered people a chance to discuss such issues. Such a group might have more advice for you.

FlyingRon

They can kick you out for any (or no) reason at all. At 18 you are an adult. Of course, they will have to follow the law with regards to evicting you, so it's not like you'll be kicked out overnight...
I'm not so sure. The Arizona statute pretty narrowly defines 'tenant' and a child living with their parents and not paying rent or otherwise operating under lease contract doesn't meet that.

Zigner

I'm not so sure. The Arizona statute pretty narrowly defines 'tenant' and a child living with their parents and not paying rent or otherwise operating under lease contract doesn't meet that.
That's a good point...

mvmeli

So as long as I follow there requests that do not impede with my freedom to make choices outside of the realm of there house, I am ok then?

mvmeli

My advice would be to not use anything resembling your name on internet forums.

There used to be an online forum, "Aspies For Freedom", that offered people a chance to discuss such issues. Such a group might have more advice for you.
I'll look into it, thank you though, that might help me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'll try to sum up:

1.) At 18, you are an independent adult unless a court says you're not and awards guardianship to your parents.

2.) There is no reason to think that a court will do that. However, no such document exists as the one you asked about. Nothing you can sign will automatically void or nullify any attempt on the part of your parents to obtain a guardianship.

3.) Your parents attempting to gain a guardianship does not equal your parents succeeding in gaining a guardianship.

4.) Once you turn 18, you are free to leave home and live where you like (short of that mythical guardianship).

5.) Once you turn 18, your parents are no longer obligated to provide you with financial (or any other) support.

mvmeli

I'll try to sum up:

1.) At 18, you are an independent adult unless a court says you're not and awards guardianship to your parents.

2.) There is no reason to think that a court will do that. However, no such document exists as the one you asked about. Nothing you can sign will automatically void or nullify any attempt on the part of your parents to obtain a guardianship.

3.) Your parents attempting to gain a guardianship does not equal your parents succeeding in gaining a guardianship.

4.) Once you turn 18, you are free to leave home and live where you like (short of that mythical guardianship).

5.) Once you turn 18, your parents are no longer obligated to provide you with financial (or any other) support.
Thank you, that helps.

Also, another question set that I just thought of.

1. What about my legal documents.

2. The money I have is an account with my mom's name and my name on it. Can my parents take that?

3. What about my online accounts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) There isn't a document I can think of that you shouldn't be able to get a copy of once you turn 18.

2.) Possibly. Depends on details.

3.) What about them? What kind of online accounts?

mvmeli

1.) There isn't a document I can think of that you shouldn't be able to get a copy of once you turn 18.

2.) Possibly. Depends on details.

3.) What about them? What kind of online accounts?
1. I don't want my parents having my original birth certificate or social security card, and I am sure most people wouldn't be ok with that either.

2. It is a normal savings account with my money in it.

3. She has my the log in for my bank account, email (which I can change but meh) and my grade portal for my school. My school password can't be changed unless circumstances permit, and my parents no longer being in control of me doesn't count, but I don't want them in that.

Zigner

1. I don't want my parents having my original birth certificate or social security card, and I am sure most people wouldn't be ok with that either.
I think you're wrong about that. I would have no problem with my parents having the original birth certificate (which they can easily obtain a certified copy of if they so wished), and they've already got my social security number. The card itself is easily replaceable. For the record, I have the original BC for all three of my kids. I also have the social security card for one of them (at their request), but I have all three social security numbers.

2. It is a normal savings account with my money in it.
You can go to the bank on the day you turn 18 and withdraw everything that's in there, if you so desire. I would suggest that if you do that, you make a new account at a different bank. I would also suggest that you have the statements for the new account sent somewhere other than your parents' house.

3. She has my the log in for my bank account
So? It's her account too.
, email (which I can change but meh)
Change your password.
and my grade portal for my school. My school password can't be changed unless circumstances permit, and my parents no longer being in control of me doesn't count, but I don't want them in that.
I don't buy this for a minute. You can easily explain that your passwords have been compromised and that you wish to change your password as well as your email account.

mvmeli

I think you're wrong about that. I would have no problem with my parents having the original birth certificate (which they can easily obtain a certified copy of if they so wished), and they've already got my social security number. The card itself is easily replaceable. For the record, I have the original BC for all three of my kids. I also have the social security card for one of them (at their request), but I have all three social security numbers.

You can go to the bank on the day you turn 18 and withdraw everything that's in there, if you so desire. I would suggest that if you do that, you make a new account at a different bank. I would also suggest that you have the statements for the new account sent somewhere other than your parents' house.

So? It's her account too.

Change your password.

I don't buy this for a minute. You can easily explain that your passwords have been compromised and that you wish to change your password as well as your email account.
Well, I personally have a problem with them having that info, so I will take care of that civilly then....

I just want her name off the account, even though the money was a gift to minor, she had to have it on there.

It's not her account too, she has the password to see if I spend money, which I only spend ~ $50 dollars a year for Christmas and birthday gifts for my parents.

And you don't go to my school, but I guess I could make some BS up about getting hacked at the end of February. School doesn't do changes cause they don't like to get into drama.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">