• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Turning 18 tomorrow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mb7296

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

OK SO IN 23 hours I'm going to be 18, I'm currently a senior in high school, just finished junior year. And my parents want to cut me off. What I mean by cut me off is, stop paying for my phone, have me buy my own clothes, and basically cut me off financially. I have a job, but I don't know what to do first when I turn 18.
I'm literally clueless, so any advice is going to help. They said I can stay atthe house, but to be honest this whole house is pissed at me, because my "stepfather", well really just a guy that my mom is married to and has kids with, he's not my legal guardian, and I had a physical altercation which ended up in the cops being called, but since I'm not 18 he cops didn't believe whatever I said so, I just went ahead and proceeded to go **** myself. Anyway, any advice helps., so what do y'all think I should do.

Also kind of a off topic question, I'm thinking of buying a car and living in it, but to finance a car I'm going to need a consigner, or do it? Is there any way I will not need a consigner to finance a car?

CdwJava

If you have no cosigner and have not developed your own credit sufficiently to qualify for an auto loan - even a small used car loan - then the living-in-the-car idea is a bust.

Your choices may be limited. If you do not like the situation where you are living, at 18 you can move where you choose. However, while I have not checked, your state might still have compulsory education laws that require you to stay in school and also to notify the school that you will be responsible for your own activity now (should you move out).

By providing you a residence, your mom and stepdad are saving you many hundreds of dollars each month. Moving out means that YOU would have to pay for your upkeep which is almost certainly far more than you imagine.

While I might disagree with what they are doing to you, I have to think there is something more to this story that has led to this problem. Why is there such a problem in the home?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What do I think you should do? I think you should prepare yourself to start buying your own clothes and paying for your own cell phone and whatever else it is your parents are no longer going to pay for. You are now a legal adult; they have no further legal obligation to support you. Be grateful that they're still allowing you to live where you are since rent and utilities would be a REAL big chunk of your paycheck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be clear, you are considered to be 18 as of 12:01 am on your birthday, not at the exact time of your birth.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe you should learn to live peacably with your mother and her husband if you expect to be cared for financially. Otherwise, expect to pay for your own keep.

I can tell you that, from the time mine started working for pay (15)? I expected them to pay for their nonessentials. I mean anything but basic underwear/socls, a few pairs of jeans, a dressy outfit, a phone for emergencies, the food I normally buy, etc. Extras? On them. The one who chose to rive? Got my old car, but covered her portion of insurance and her own gas. She just recently bought her own truck - very used - and paid for it and her own insurance. No financing involved. So no cosigner needed.

Time to "man up".

Silverplum

Young MEN serve in the military, starting at age 18. I don't need to enumerate their hardships.

What are you? A pampered poodle?

:rolleyes:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

OK SO IN 23 hours I'm going to be 18, I'm currently a senior in high school, just finished junior year. And my parents want to cut me off. What I mean by cut me off is, stop paying for my phone, have me buy my own clothes, and basically cut me off financially. I have a job, but I don't know what to do first when I turn 18.
I'm literally clueless, so any advice is going to help. They said I can stay atthe house, but to be honest this whole house is pissed at me, because my "stepfather", well really just a guy that my mom is married to and has kids with, he's not my legal guardian, and I had a physical altercation which ended up in the cops being called, but since I'm not 18 he cops didn't believe whatever I said so, I just went ahead and proceeded to go **** myself. Anyway, any advice helps., so what do y'all think I should do.

Also kind of a off topic question, I'm thinking of buying a car and living in it, but to finance a car I'm going to need a consigner, or do it? Is there any way I will not need a consigner to finance a car?

Just Blue

Very true, and I appreciate you adding women. :):)

I was just directed at OP and didn't consider a wider audience. :eek:
I know Silver. :)

You know I will never forget all the Men and Women that get their Kephlar (sp? :eek:) panties on to serve this Nation.

:):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">