• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two 17/yo caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kelseymcgee

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My daughter and her friend were caught Shoplifting today at a Meier and Frank(turning into a macys). My daughter had a 38 dollar wallet and her friend a 42 dollar wallet. It was both of their first times/offences (stupid children) They took down the girls information and call us up to pick them up. When we arrived they told us about the situation, gave us a sheet saying they might have us pay a fine of 250 dollars plus the cost of the wallet and said they were not pressing and released the girls to us.

My question is, if they said they were not pressing charges and the girls did not get arrested, will this be on their records?

Also, they said we should be getting a letter from their lawyers in 2 - 6 weeks. What would these letters include? And what do you think they would say?

Also (sorry with all these questions) did my daughter completely screw up her whole life??

THank you

snostar

Kelseymcgee said:
My question is, if they said they were not pressing charges and the girls did not get arrested, will this be on their records?
If the police were not contacted there will be no record. If they were contacted a basic report would be filed but as long as they were are not arrested there will be no arrest record.

Also, they said we should be getting a letter from their lawyers in 2 - 6 weeks. What would these letters include? And what do you think they would say?
It will likely outline that your daughter is to pay the fine, make restitution and never step foot in their stores again. Failure to abide by the agreement would result in charges being pressed.

Also (sorry with all these questions) did my daughter completely screw up her whole life??
Not yet.

Neal1421

Kelseymcgee said:
Thank you for your advice, but what do you mean not yet?
If she continues down the path she is going, she will eventually. Tell her to find new friends, get help, something so that this doesn't happen again.

HomeGuru

Kelseymcgee said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

My daughter and her friend were caught Shoplifting today at a Meier and Frank(turning into a macys). My daughter had a 38 dollar wallet and her friend a 42 dollar wallet. It was both of their first times/offences (stupid children) They took down the girls information and call us up to pick them up. When we arrived they told us about the situation, gave us a sheet saying they might have us pay a fine of 250 dollars plus the cost of the wallet and said they were not pressing and released the girls to us.

THank you

**A: what plans do you have for your daughter to pay the fine?

Kelseymcgee

We are having her pay the fines out of her own work money because she does have a job now.

We also banned her from hanging out with the other girl, she is grounded with no cell phone no car no computer no tv, though we are not sure how long she will be grounded for. We are thinking 38 days because thats a dollar a day.

Happy Trails

Kelseymcgee said:
We are having her pay the fines out of her own work money because she does have a job now.

We also banned her from hanging out with the other girl, she is grounded with no cell phone no car no computer no tv, though we are not sure how long she will be grounded for. We are thinking 38 days because thats a dollar a day.
Sounds like you are taking things in a positive direction, don't back down.

Your daughter made a bad decision to shoplift and hopefully that will be the last time she tries to get something for nothing.

She was lucky they didn't press criminal charges. She would be facing criminal fines along with the civil fine she will be paying.

Use the search engine and type in "shoplifting"; print out the posts that tell how getting a shoplifting charge on their record made it hard for some of them to get a job...

Then hand them to your daughter and let her read them.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">