• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Penal Code - Age of Consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txlaw1134

I have a question about 21.11 of the Texas penal code.

The Penal code states:

§ 21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (a) A person commits an
offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the person's
spouse, whether the child is of the same or opposite sex, the
person:
(1) engages in sexual contact with the child or causes
the child to engage in sexual contact; or
(2) with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire
of any person:
(A) exposes the person's anus or any part of the
person's genitals, knowing the child is present; or
(B) causes the child to expose the child's anus
or any part of the child's genitals.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this
section that the actor:
(1) was not more than three years older than the victim
and of the opposite sex;
(2) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the
victim at the time of the offense; and
(3) at the time of the offense:
(A) was not required under Chapter 62, Code of
Criminal Procedure, to register for life as a sex offender; or
(B) was not a person who under Chapter 62 had a
reportable conviction or adjudication for an offense under this
section."

I am trying to decipher the part where it states "However , "...It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender"

Could someone please clear this up for me? I am doing some legal research for a report, and I've scowered the internet to find very mixed interpretations. (btw, the same stipulation also applies for sexual assault)

Thank you.

Some Random Guy

"However , "...It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor...was not more than three years older than the victim and of the opposite sex...(and) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the victim at the time of the offence" and is not a registered sex offender"
Yes, that seems to be what the statue says. What do you see as unclear about it?

txlaw1134

I don't understand what an "affirmative defense" would mean exactly. Basically, does this mean that a 16 year old can legally engage in intercourse with a 19 year old, or a 17 year old with a 20 year old? Or does it just mean that it is a reasonable defence?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">