• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under 21 transportation of alcohol..HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Enemcy

What is the name of your state? California

I was asked by a roommate if i could drive her to the liquor store. As she had already been drinking and could not drive i agreed, she is 21. She had one 40 ounce beer, still sober but i felt it would be safer if i drove. My other roommate came along with us. He is 22. We arrived at the store and went inside. I bought an energy drink and she bought the beer. Two 12 cases and 2 40's. We exited the store both roommates over 21 carrying the alcohol. They then placed the beer in the trunk and closed it. As i was entering my car i was stopped by an officer on foot and cited. I am 20 years old.

I understand its the law. My concern is i am currently a Paid call firefighter and an Emergency Medical technician. I have never been in trouble before and have a clean record...untill now. This is a misdemeanor and could seriosly effect my chances of becoming a full time firefighter. What should i do at this point?

Enemcy

Thats nice....I thought that by spending to to post a reply it might be something useful. This to me is not a joke. this is what i have been going to school for and dedicating my time to.
I am for the most part a volunteer firefighter. That means i do the same thing other Paid firefighters do for free. That includes protecting your house if your house is on fire or providing you medical aid after an auto accident.

Please dont waste your time replying if you have nothing useful to say.

Silverplum

Thats nice....I thought that by spending to to post a reply it might be something useful. This to me is not a joke. this is what i have been going to school for and dedicating my time to.
I am for the most part a volunteer firefighter. That means i do the same thing other Paid firefighters do for free. That includes protecting your house if your house is on fire or providing you medical aid after an auto accident.

I know what you do. My son did it, too, and is now a fulltime firefighter.

I don't know what to tell you other than to hire an attorney. You did a doofus thing: now you are in trouble. :(

seniorjudge

My answer was not a joke.

You need to change jobs.

Enemcy

I understand i made a poor choice. At the time i did not know that what i did was illegal, however I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I did it so that a person who had been drinking would not have to drive. I was helping them. the law states that it is okay for a minor to transport alcohol with a parent note. This just doesn't seem right. I wasn't going to go get alcohol to drink or anything of that nature. I had work the next day.

All in all, I dont care about the fines, and i understand i broke the law ( knowing or not), I just want to see if there is a way i can have this resolved without being on my record. I doubt it but i figured it couldn't hurt.

Silverplum

I understand i made a poor choice. At the time i did not know that what i did was illegal, however I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I did it so that a person who had been drinking would not have to drive. I was helping them. the law states that it is okay for a minor to transport alcohol with a parent note. This just doesn't seem right. I wasn't going to go get alcohol to drink or anything of that nature. I had work the next day.

All in all, I dont care about the fines, and i understand i broke the law ( knowing or not), I just want to see if there is a way i can have this resolved without being on my record. I doubt it but i figured it couldn't hurt.
That attitude will take you far in overcoming this. Taking responsibility. Acting like a man instead of a child. :)

Is it possible for you to discuss this with a mentor (in your field, not your boss) in your area?

Enemcy

That attitude will take you far in overcoming this. Taking responsibility. Acting like a man instead of a child. :)

Is it possible for you to discuss this with a mentor (in your field, not your boss) in your area?
I do have a mentor that i might be able to discuss this with. He is a Ret. FF of 29 years.

should i consider an attorney?

Silverplum

I do have a mentor that i might be able to discuss this with. He is a Ret. FF of 29 years.

Start with the mentor, definitely. And when in trouble with the law, always consider an attorney. See what your mentor says.

Good luck to you, fireboy. Thank you for serving your community. :)

Enemcy

Start with the mentor, definitely. And when in trouble with the law, always consider an attorney. See what your mentor says.

Good luck to you, fireboy. Thank you for serving your community. :)
I thank you for your advise. It is much apperciated.

CdwJava

What was the specific section you were cited for? Knowing that will help to determine what might be able to be done to minimize or mitigate the damage.

- Carl

Silverplum

I thank you for your advise. It is much apperciated.
You're welcome. Your service to your community is very much appreciated! What on earth would we do without you?? :)

I know you didn't mean to break the law, and that you aren't a jerk. Your acceptance of responsibility is most refreshing, and I do think it will take you far.

By the way, I'm glad you didn't take offense to me calling you, "fireboy." I just realized I did that -- it's a nickname I call my (grown!) son. :eek: :D

Enemcy

What was the specific section you were cited for? Knowing that will help to determine what might be able to be done to minimize or mitigate the damage.

- Carl
the copy that is hard to read but i think it says 23224 (?) cvc

Enemcy

You're welcome. Your service to your community is very much appreciated! What on earth would we do without you?? :)

I know you didn't mean to break the law, and that you aren't a jerk. Your acceptance of responsibility is most refreshing, and I do think it will take you far.

By the way, I'm glad you didn't take offense to me calling you, "fireboy." I just realized I did that -- it's a nickname I call my (grown!) son. :eek: :D

None taken.

I try my hardest to do what i can, and I enjoy helping others. This career path is something that has become part of my life....even when im off duty i'm still on duty in a sense.

Again thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">