• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under age 18 with Underage Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andie_Licious

I live in State College, Pennsylvania.
Saturday night I was at a party with some friends. I went to the party because I had been stressed out (relationship issues), and I wanted to clear my head. I was not intoxicated, and I wanted to start heading home at 10:30PM. As five other people headed down towards the cars (a friend had to move her car so I could get out and leave), about three cop cars came and handed us all underages.
I was not in the consumption of alcohol. I asked to walk the line, but instead was given a field sobriety test in which he said my head was moving so he gave me 6 clues. I did however receive .00 on the breathilizer, but the cop didn't believe me so he ruled it out.
This is my first time ever being in trouble with the law. My citation states that I smelled of alcohol, which I knew I did because my friend spilt alcohol all over my outfit. I did not have an alcohol in my hands, or anything illegal on me. I want to plead my case not guilty, but first I don't know how to go about that. I don't know if I even have a chance to plead not guilty, and if so, do I have to send in my citation with $50? Do I have a chance of the cop not showing up at court? Only one cop wrote my citation even though there were several there. Does that mean only that cop would attend my trial?
Like I said, Im under the age of 18 until July. I have never been in trouble with the law before so I don't even know where to begin. I know what happens with Underages, but before I even plead guilty when I know I was not intoxicated, what are my options or chances?

CdwJava

It's not that you were intoxicated, but that you had been comsuming alcohol. It is also possible to be "in possession" if you are near enough to have control over alcohol in the vicinity (beer on a table, keg in the room, etc.). And if you smeeled of alcohol that is a pretty good indicator that you were drinking.

Bottom line is that you should not have been there. Now you will have to face the charges.

Specifically, what code section are you accused of violating? This should be a number on the citation.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">