• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage alcholol consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aok121

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My 17 year old son was with several friends and found swimming in a reservoir at a park after closing and under age consumption. He registered .02 on PBT (consistent with his story of one drink bvefore going to he park) and was cited for under age consumption. He was also cited for being in the park after closing, as were the other kids (except one girl that had no alcohol). They did not have any alcohol in their possesion. This occurred in Phoenixville, PA.

I believe that the penalty would be a 3 month loss of license and possible fines for both offenses. Is this consistent with your understanding. Is there anything that can be done to mitigate the penalty? My son wants to find a way (obviously) and has been given "advice" by parents of other kids on how to fight this with a lawyer. Also, one of the other kids contacted the police department and were apparantly told to appear in court and they would most likely negotiate the penalty down to disorderly conduct, but, I'm not clear if the citation would need to be returned as guilty or not guilty to do this. In any case, there is no fine shown on the summons so it says he would have to appear in court anyway.

Our inclination is to have him suffer the consequences of his actions, but, want to understand what he could get hit with and whether there is anything to be done to mitigate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">