• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Consumption Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joliver1

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My fiance and I were canoeing on the weekend before the 4th of July. about 5 minutes into the canoe trip, we were directed to pull in to shore by the Wildlife Resources Agecy. They asked our ages (which are 19 -- myself.. and 21 -- my fiance) and saw that there was beer in the canoe. I had had maybe a sip, and my fiance 1. I did not have beer in my hands, nor was I even remotely intoxicated. The officer proceeded to write us our citations. One for Underage Consumption and one for Contributing.

Never once was I asked if I had been drinking, nor was I given a breathalyzer.

Is there any proof? Could my charges really stand? And if mine can't, can my fiance's?

JustAPal00

Did the officer see you take the sip? He may have seen you and then waited to see if she took one. Not knowing your ages he might have caught two minors!

joliver1

I guess it could be possible. How could he have known, though, that it was a beer? And not Coca-Cola?

I would completely understand a minor in possession charge, but I didn't receive one.

If he did get a clear sight of a sip of beer, would that be enough to find me guilty?

joliver1

I understand that the consumption question sounds absurd, but I'm just curious.

There couldn't have been a clear view as we were in the middle of a river. I could've been drinking anything. I didn't smell of alcohol, there was no admission of guilt, and there certainly was no or an offer of breathalyzer.

It just seems far-fetched to me.

The Occultist

What statute number were you cited for? It's possible that there is a single statute that covers consumption and possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">