• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tater_tot

What is the name of your state? Virginia

If a 14 year old child and her 17 or 18 year old friend were with the 14 year olds parent and step-parent getting drunk with parents consent and knowledge is there anything that can or will be done to parent or child? A friend had told me as long as parent was present couldn't do anything about the 14 year old child just the friend. If anyone can help please do. Thank you.

moburkes

tater_tot said:

If a 14 year old child and her 17 or 18 year old friend were with the 14 year olds parent and step-parent getting drunk with parents consent and knowledge is there anything that can or will be done to parent or child? A friend had told me as long as parent was present couldn't do anything about the 14 year old child just the friend. If anyone can help please do. Thank you.
Which person are you in this situation?

tater_tot

Who I am......

Actually, neither, I am the other parent of the 14 year old that was with my ex when drinking. Also, how would you prove the child was drinking?

Y

yourock

no fit parent would allow underage drinking

tater_tot said:

bull. the legal drinking age is 21. the 14 yr olds parent and stepparent can face charges of giving alcohol to a minor and contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.both kids be charged with underage possession of alcohol.no parent who has any sense,and apparently the 14 yr old's parents have no sense at all, allowing their underage child to drink. if i was the older kid's parent, they wouldnt be going to that house anymore. and they would be grounded for a month or more. not to mention they would be sitting funny for a long time to come

tater_tot

Proof

Now how do I prove my daughter was drinking with her mother's knowledge and consent? I know my word is not gonna cut it.

tater_tot

Proof ?????

OK, let me rephrase my last question. The way i found out about this incident was through my daughter's online MYSPACE website. The friend that was with her posted a comment about the 4th of July, so on and so on which also states that my ex and her husband knew about it and was the ones to allow them. My question is would a print off of the webpage be good enough or what kind of proof would I have to have to even get a judge to listen to me? Thanks for all of the help so far.

seniorjudge

tater_tot said:
OK, let me rephrase my last question. The way i found out about this incident was through my daughter's online MYSPACE website. The friend that was with her posted a comment about the 4th of July, so on and so on which also states that my ex and her husband knew about it and was the ones to allow them. My question is would a print off of the webpage be good enough or what kind of proof would I have to have to even get a judge to listen to me? Thanks for all of the help so far.
A printout of a web page proves one thing: You know how to printout web pages.

S

shell007

tater_tot said:
Sit down and have a STERN talk with your 14-year-old. He/she is the important subject... NOT YOUR EX.

Good God...when is it going to start being about the CHILDREN and NOT ABOUT REVENGE AGAINST THE EX'S. :mad:

CdwJava

The bottom line is you are not going to be able to prove the Ex allowed her to drink, or that your daughter drank anythin gat all unless they 'fess up. And even if they admit it, so what? The courts are not going to come down on him for knowingly allowing his daughter to have alcohol. While I am not familiar with the laws on VA regarding alcohol consumption, if they are anything like the rest of the country, a parent or guardian can permit their child to have alcohol in a residence provided it does not otherwise endanger them or break any other laws.

I do not see that the cops are going to get excited about this. In fact, it is likely not even a crime. You can certainly bring it up at a custody hearing, but, if all that happened is what you wrote, it's not going to be something the courts are going to prosecute.

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep, in a lot of states, a parent is allowed - legally - to provide alcohol to their own child.

tater_tot

Thanks

OK, my ex the mother I think gave them the alcohol in public, and also she didn't just give my daughter alcohol, she gave my daughter's underage friend alcohol, but thanks for all the advice. I guess I will talk to some local authorities and see how and if I should proceed at all. Thanks again.

CdwJava

Even in public, it may not make a difference. And, after the fact?

Unless someone got drunk or injured, or the other child's parents make a stink (and even then this might not be a crime), I don't see this getting a second glance.

- Carl

tater_tot

Making sure I got it straight

So what you all are saying is me, my ex or both step-parents an take out my almost 15 year old daughter and her underage friends and get them stone drunk without consequence? What happened to distributing to minors? Your own child or not? Thanks for everyone's input.;)

CdwJava

tater_tot said:
So what you all are saying is me, my ex or both step-parents an take out my almost 15 year old daughter and her underage friends and get them stone drunk without consequence? What happened to distributing to minors? Your own child or not? Thanks for everyone's input.;)
Distributing usually refers to children other than your own, or, when something very bad happens as a result of giving the alcohol.

VA Code 4.1-200

7. Any person who keeps and possesses lawfully acquired alcoholic beverages in his residence for his personal use or that of his family. However, such alcoholic beverages may be served or given to guests in such residence by such person, his family or servants when (i) such guests are 21 years of age or older or are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 21 years of age or older and (ii) such service or gift is in no way a shift or device to evade the provisions of this title.

So, under VA law he can give alcohol to his own child. And I doubt the cops are going to pursue an old case for providing to the 18-year-old unless he got popped for DUI or some other offense.

You'll have to find some other angle to get at the ex. Perhaps you can bring this up in a custody hearing to include no alcohol. Until then, state law applies and he can provide alcohol to his own child.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">