• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMM0711

What is the name of your state? NJ

I just received a ticket for underage drinking from my college town. I'm 19 years old and it's one of those "wrong place, wrong time" situations. I am required to appear in court in two weeks.

Basically a fraternity was holding a party and last minute my suitemates and I decided to go. I only had a sip or two of beer and about 45 minutes after we arrived the cops came. When the cops came they rounded us all up, and some were allowed to leave without even getting a citation or a ticket while others continued to hide in the house or ran away from the police. I gave the police officer my information honestly. Soon after I requested to have a breathalizer or a test. My friend had received a test although she was drinking (and a lot more than me) and when he asked her to breathe on him she refused. She got away, yet I didn't. In response to my question about a test, no cop would give me an answer and refused me. I was talking to the police officers after giving my information and after a while of chatting, I explained to him how upset I was about this whole thing. He told me that it's okay and that I will probably only get something small. I preceded to cry and I apoligized for acting that way. He specifically told me and I quote "I know you're not drunk, it's okay."

Later on in the night, I kept talking to the police who were there. One cop said that "they are probably just taking down names for liability purposes and we won't be getting in trouble." They kept explaining that they had to break up the party and I completely understood where they were coming from.

I received a letter in the mail saying that I must appear in court for Underage Drinking. My suitemate and I were the only ones to get a citation so far. A large amount of people at the party didn't receive one which was shocking. I was completely honest and truthful to the police while others lied to them. I'm thinking about hiring a lawyer because I'm scared of the actions ahead. I'm a good kid and I barely ever go out but just this once my roommate got me to go out and this is what I get. Should I get an attorney? Should I try to fight this? I know I was wrong for being at this party but they have no evidence whether or not I was drinking or not. Any help would be great. Thank you.

The Occultist

You don't need to be drunk to be guilty of your offense, and they don't need to test you. They just need to observe your behavior (you know, when you went from cop to cop to cop and started crying and begging for tests from everybody). You made yourself a very memorable target for a citation that night.

LMM0711

I didn't go from cop to cop while crying and begging tests from everyone. I only asked one cop for a test and the others I just chatted with. I did not really cry heavily, mainly just teared up in front of the cop because I was embarrased. I'm just concerned that if I go in as "guilty" what my concequences will be. I understand what you mean and I thank you for your response to my problem.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">