• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking Citation - College Admittance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve0321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

my 19 year old daughter was riding in the back of a truck with several other college teens (she was not driving) in a small college town. The driver was pulled over for speeding. The officer claimed he smelled alcohol and issued a citation to every person in the vehicle for underage drinking; there were no alcohol containers in the vehicle. Daughter had to pay a $250 fine. Two questions regarding the citation:

(1) Was the officer correct in charging the way he did with no physical proof?

MY MAIN QUESTION:
(2) My daughter is currently in college but is applying to transfer to another college. One of the questions on the application for the new college is if she has ever been charged with anything greater than a traffic violation. We don't know how to answer this. Is here citation something that could prevent her acceptance?

swalsh411

By paying the fine, she plead guilty.

So yes if you want to be truthful in the application you should list that. I'm doubtful they would ever find out otherwise though.

Whether or not this matters in terms of her acceptance is a question only the college can answer. They certainly have the right to refuse admission to a student who has been caught drinking. (or should I say not smart enough or lucky enough to avoid getting caught) :p

Had your daughter been drinking? If not, why didn't she contest this ticket?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

my 19 year old daughter was riding in the back of a truck with several other college teens (she was not driving) in a small college town. The driver was pulled over for speeding. The officer claimed he smelled alcohol and issued a citation to every person in the vehicle for underage drinking; there were no alcohol containers in the vehicle. Daughter had to pay a $250 fine. Two questions regarding the citation:

(1) Was the officer correct in charging the way he did with no physical proof?

MY MAIN QUESTION:
(2) My daughter is currently in college but is applying to transfer to another college. One of the questions on the application for the new college is if she has ever been charged with anything greater than a traffic violation. We don't know how to answer this. Is here citation something that could prevent her acceptance?
1) Honestly? The officer smelling the booze was enough. You and I both know that someone in that truck had been drinking. So yes, he was likely in the clear. Especially since at least one person (your daughter) admitted guilt by paying the fine.

2) Now... We were in a similar situation. One of mine was on a recruiting visit, and the team went to a party. Said child had a beer (didn't shock me) to fit in. They had a designated driver. Whose parents' car had a taillight out. Got pulled over, blah, blah, blah. MIP. I could not, in good conscience, fight it. Kid told me a drink was drunk. So the fine was paid (I was paid back by kid). College being visited accepted said kid. As did several others. Kiddo was up front about the experience and what was learned from it.

steve0321

1) Honestly? The officer smelling the booze was enough. You and I both know that someone in that truck had been drinking. So yes, he was likely in the clear. Especially since at least one person (your daughter) admitted guilt by paying the fine.

2) Now... We were in a similar situation. One of mine was on a recruiting visit, and the team went to a party. Said child had a beer (didn't shock me) to fit in. They had a designated driver. Whose parents' car had a taillight out. Got pulled over, blah, blah, blah. MIP. I could not, in good conscience, fight it. Kid told me a drink was drunk. So the fine was paid (I was paid back by kid). College being visited accepted said kid. As did several others. Kiddo was up front about the experience and what was learned from it.
Yes she had something to drink earlier, she admitted that to us. She's gotten her lecture from me and momma! Not trying to dodge her guilt, just thought there had to be more proof than "I smell booze" and charge everybody in the vehicle (some had not been drinking) with MIC. Anyway that's a moot point. She knows better now - just another lesson learned the hard way.

My concern now is the college application. I wouldn't think it would show on a background check since there is no arrest involved, but I don't know. (?) Guess I just need to call the admissions office and speak with them. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes she had something to drink earlier, she admitted that to us. She's gotten her lecture from me and momma! Not trying to dodge her guilt, just thought there had to be more proof than "I smell booze" and charge everybody in the vehicle (some had not been drinking) with MIC. Anyway that's a moot point. She knows better now - just another lesson learned the hard way.

My concern now is the college application. I wouldn't think it would show on a background check since there is no arrest involved, but I don't know. (?) Guess I just need to call the admissions office and speak with them. Thanks.
Your daughter can be honest or try to hide it. If she hides it and the university finds out? They can expel her.

Silverplum

Do you need to call them?

Really?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">