• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jarek613

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Just a simple question really, do I have to be told I am being charger of given a citation?

A friend of mine, myself, and 4 other people (we are all aged 18-20, myself being 20) were drinking in my friends barn in the country. Lone behold 4 squad cars pull in and produce 4 officers. 3 of the officers are friends and are talking with us, while the fourth (first to respond to the house) is making snide remarks about us 5-10 feet away. Basically we are all given breathalyser and we all produce numbers ranging from .01 - .10 (the host being .10). The officers then tell the host he is being charged with providing and underage, and 2 of my friends are told they are being charged with underage and that their citations will arrive in the mail. Meanwhile, another friend of mine, and myself are waiting to be spoken to by the police, but they instead get in their cars and drive off. The only thing they did to me was take my license, give me the test, and then hand license back. The only words spoken in relation to the night were, "Give us a nice deep breath and blow into this tube."

Is is possible or worth it to walk into the courthouse (if i get this citation in the mail that is) and request for it to be dropped on the grounds that I was never explained I was to be charged with anything, let alone receive a citation in the mail?

Thanks for any help!

FlyingRon

Is is possible or worth it to walk into the courthouse (if i get this citation in the mail that is) and request for it to be dropped on the grounds that I was never explained I was to be charged with anything, let alone receive a citation in the mail?
They're not required to give you advanced notice of charging you. If you were either seen drinking or you blow a bac, you can be charged and it would hard to make a case for innocence.

jarek613

Alright, thanks :) I was just curious.

Also, thank you for actually answering the question rather than post opinions and snide remarks like I see so many other people do, I really appreciate it :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">