+ Reply to Thread
    scottka is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Underage Drinking NJ on a Campus

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was in a friend of mine's dorm room at a state school in New Jersey. There were 10 Kids in the room including me. 9 of which were drinking, I had just arrived and was not drinking. The police came in an cuffed us all. All 9 other kids admitted that I was not drinking to all officers and that I was innocent.

The officers said that I am in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did not have an alcohol in my possesion and requested a brethalyzer or any other form of test to prove I was not intoxicated. They refused to give me the test saying it is only for DWI/DUI.

I was arrested and they made all 10 of us walk to the police station on campus because they did not have enough transportation for all of us. They finger printed me for state, federal, and local PD, they also took my picture face forward and sideways and read my miranda rights to me.

I have a court date coming up soon. The law i am in "violation of" is N.J.S. 2C:33-15a.

When I get to court - Should I please guilty or not guilty. Also - If anyone has the actual law that I violated in writing - that would be great because i can't find that anywhere online.
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottka
    What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was in a friend of mine's dorm room at a state school in New Jersey. There were 10 Kids in the room including me. 9 of which were drinking, I had just arrived and was not drinking. The police came in an cuffed us all. All 9 other kids admitted that I was not drinking to all officers and that I was innocent.

The officers said that I am in the wrong place at the wrong time. I did not have an alcohol in my possesion and requested a brethalyzer or any other form of test to prove I was not intoxicated. They refused to give me the test saying it is only for DWI/DUI.

I was arrested and they made all 10 of us walk to the police station on campus because they did not have enough transportation for all of us. They finger printed me for state, federal, and local PD, they also took my picture face forward and sideways and read my miranda rights to me.

I have a court date coming up soon. The law i am in "violation of" is N.J.S. 2C:33-15a.

When I get to court - Should I please guilty or not guilty. Also - If anyone has the actual law that I violated in writing - that would be great because i can't find that anywhere online.

Quote Originally Posted by 2C:33-15
    Possession, consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons under legal age; penalty
    1. a. Any person under the legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages who knowingly possesses without legal authority or who knowingly consumes any alcoholic beverage in any school, public conveyance, public place, or place of public assembly, or motor vehicle, is guilty of a disorderly persons offense, and shall be fined not less than $500.00.
    If you didn't "possess" or "consume" anything, then plead not guilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    Does anyone know the lesser offenses that this could be lowered to by talking to the prosecutor.

All the officers were friendly, but one told me he would show up to court and talk to the posecutor with me hoping to get the fine lowered.

Also, Does this show up on my record?

Thanks!
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottka
    Does anyone know the lesser offenses that this could be lowered to by talking to the prosecutor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2C:33-15
    Possession, consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons under legal age; penalty
    1. a. Any person under the legal age to purchase alcoholic beverages who knowingly possesses without legal authority or who knowingly consumes any alcoholic beverage in any school, public conveyance, public place, or place of public assembly, or motor vehicle, is guilty of a disorderly persons offense, and shall be fined not less than $500.00
    Community college, huh? Disorderly persons offense is as low as they come, (unless they want to give you a parking ticket instead).

All the officers were friendly, but one told me he would show up to court and talk to the posecutor with me hoping to get the fine lowered.
    You only get fined if you are found "guilty". If you're not guilty, your fine is $0.

Also, Does this show up on my record?
    On if you're found guilty.

Thanks!
    Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    No, it was not community college - they dont have dorm rooms.

It was a University in northern NJ - close to Newark.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    You were definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Consider it a lesson learned.