• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage drinking at a party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gevoveva

State: Pennsylvania
Last night, 2/9, my friends and I went to a party. We are all 19. About 20 minutes after we got there, the police arrived and everyone was shuffled into the basement. Everyone waited there for about 2 hours and then a police officer came down the stairs and told everyone (about 100 people) that it would be easier if we just came upstairs now, took a breathalyzer and cooperated. My friends and I did what the officer said. When I got upstairs I handed the officer my ID, told her that I was 19 and that I, infact, had a couple drinks. Then, I took the test and blew a .05. I'm not sure if the officer even wrote down my information, but I wasn't issued a ticket that night. I have three questions: Knowing that we were all underage, could the officers let us go, or should they have taken us to the station? Should I expect a ticket in the mail? If so, will my license be taken away?

seniorjudge

gevoveva said:
State: Pennsylvania
Last night, 2/9, my friends and I went to a party. We are all 19. About 20 minutes after we got there, the police arrived and everyone was shuffled into the basement. Everyone waited there for about 2 hours and then a police officer came down the stairs and told everyone (about 100 people) that it would be easier if we just came upstairs now, took a breathalyzer and cooperated. My friends and I did what the officer said. When I got upstairs I handed the officer my ID, told her that I was 19 and that I, infact, had a couple drinks. Then, I took the test and blew a .05. I'm not sure if the officer even wrote down my information, but I wasn't issued a ticket that night. I have three questions: Knowing that we were all underage, could the officers let us go, or should they have taken us to the station? Should I expect a ticket in the mail? If so, will my license be taken away?
Q: Knowing that we were all underage, could the officers let us go, or should they have taken us to the station?

A: Apparently, that is the way they handle it there, i.e., without going to the station.

Q: Should I expect a ticket in the mail?

A: Probably.

Q: If so, will my license be taken away?

A: http://www.pennsylvaniadrunkdrivinglawyers.com/pennsylvania-underage-drinking-law.cfm

Happy Trails

In my state they are mailed out. They get you ID information and issue a ticket later.

From Pennsylvania statutes:

§ 6308. Purchase, consumption, possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed beverages.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a summary offense if he, being less than 21 years of age, attempts to purchase, purchases, consumes, possesses or knowingly and intentionally transports any liquor or malt or brewed beverages, as defined in section 6310.6 (relating to definitions). For the purposes of this section, it shall not be a defense that the liquor or malt or brewed beverages was consumed in a jurisdiction other than the jurisdiction where the citation for underage drinking was issued.

(b) Penalty.--In addition to the penalty imposed pursuant to section 6310.4 (relating to restriction of operating privileges), a person convicted of violating subsection (a) may be sentenced to pay a fine of not more than $500 for the second and each subsequent violation.

(c) Preadjudication disposition.--

When a person is charged with violating subsection (a), the district justice may admit the offender to the adjudication alternative as authorized in 42 Pa.C.S. ¤ 1520 (relating to adjudication alternative program) or any other preadjudication disposition if the offender has not previously received a preadjudication disposition for violating subsection (a).
The use of a preadjudication disposition shall be considered a first or subsequent offense, whichever is applicable, for the purpose of further adjudication under this section or under section 6310.4.

(d) Notification.--The police department making an arrest for a suspected violation of subsection (a) shall so notify the parents or guardian of the minor charged.]

------------------

For the first offense penalty could be up to a $300 fine and/or 90 days in jail and license suspension for 90 days.

I like to include that a second offense the fine goes up and the license suspension is for 1 year.

Subsequent offenses licenses suspension is for 2 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">