• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking (SOL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LM25221

So if someone drinks underage then turns 21 and talks about it and reveals they weren't 21 at the time can they be charged and if so how long is the Statute of limitations on that? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So if someone drinks underage then turns 21 and talks about it and reveals they weren't 21 at the time can they be charged and if so how long is the Statute of limitations on that? Thanks.
Sorry, this forum is for non-hypothetical US law only.

FlyingRon

You need to indicate what state, but no, just because you became of age in the interim doesn't mean that any charges suddenly become void.

Mere boasting about breaking a law usually isn't sufficient on its own to support a criminal charge. However, you should keep your mouth shut when talking about illegal things you've done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to indicate what state, but no, just because you became of age in the interim doesn't mean that any charges suddenly become void.

Mere boasting about breaking a law usually isn't sufficient on its own to support a criminal charge. However, you should keep your mouth shut when talking about illegal things you've done.
What you said is absolutely correct, but there are many hypothetical permutations of this scenario that would not be illegal. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I drank when I was 20 years, 11 months old. Damn was I a rebel. That is a criminal act. As I am now in my mid 40s, the SOL has expired. I am a criminal though. A non caught or charged criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">