• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guitarplyer1w

I live in Illinois and over the past summer I was arrested for zero tolerance and given tickets for underage consumption, underage possession of alcohol, underage transportation of alcohol, and running a stop sign. I hired a lawyer and when I went to court I had three tickets dropped and plead guilty to underage transportation of alcohol. I payed my fine, did my community service and returned after my 100 days or supervision and everything was fine. However just recently I received an underage drinking ticket and my questions are will receiving this ticket have any effect on the tickets I received before, Will the penalty be worse because of my other tickets that were dropped, and what do you think would be the punishment for this?

Multimom

What will or will not be worse is unknown, however, I think you need to stop drinking period since you now have 2 citations in a 6 month period. This usually indicates abuse, I would stop.

Multimom

I think anyone busted twice in 6 months for the same thing either has the beginning of an issue or incredibly terrible bad luck.

2 DUI's in 6 months usually results in jail time in most states.

Don't you wonder about a kid who has had two underaged drinking citations in the last 6 months? I doubt those were the only 2 times he drank. How often did he drink and not get caught??????

guitarplyer1w

Well, I am 20 years old so I am not a kid and I have never gotten a DUI. I got a zero tolerance ticket because I blew a .03 after having 3 beers at a bonfire. I don't have any problems with alcohol or with using it responsibly.

moburkes

Well, I am 20 years old so I am not a kid and I have never gotten a DUI. I got a zero tolerance ticket because I blew a .03 after having 3 beers at a bonfire. I don't have any problems with alcohol or with using it responsibly.
You're a kid. You don't need to get a DUI. What is so hard about waiting unless its legal, before you start drinking? Is it that difficult? How are you being responsible, when you're doing something illegal?

Help me to understand what I'm missing, please. Better yet, say all that you said above, to the judge.

guitarplyer1w

I haven't heard any real advice so far from anyone on here. Only condescending opinions about my decisions. All I really want is some answers to my original questions. So, if all you want to do is tell me about how wrong I am for what I did don't bother. I understand what I did was wrong, but I am not looking for some exhausted assessment of my life. Only some answers that might actually help me.

aleeshkapeesh

I haven't heard any real advice so far from anyone on here. Only condescending opinions about my decisions. All I really want is some answers to my original questions. So, if all you want to do is tell me about how wrong I am for what I did don't bother. I understand what I did was wrong, but I am not looking for some exhausted assessment of my life. Only some answers that might actually help me.
Yeah Guitarplayer i know how these ppl can be, you ask a question for some real advice and all you get back is how you should change, live your life and what you did wrong. B.S in my opinon.

Since I'm not one of those ppl I'm gonna answer you original question bud. No I don't think will effect you this time around. ( The stuff you weren't convicted of) but the judge will see your trans. of alcohol ticket on your record and i'm sure that isn't going to help the situation.

oh by the way, the person who said you can't be responsible if you are drinking underage, is wrong. we can have a few beers...( like you adults) and still be responsible. sure its illegal but were young baby...time to live it up. lol.

moburkes

the person who said you can't be responsible if you are drinking underage, is wrong. we can have a few beers...( like you adults) and still be responsible.
What is RESPONSIBLE about doing something that is illegal? What is so great about beer that you just HAVE to have it? What is RESPONSIBLE about doing something illegal, AND GETTING CAUGHT? HOW ABOUT GETTING CAUGHT MORE THAN ONCE?

StepDad

I am in Illinois too, and I wish my stepson would have had your judge. He just went to court on his first offense ever...illegal transport of alcohol my a minor. He got 90 days supervision. Period. No fine, no community service, no suspension of license. I am outraged. How can I try to teach responsibility, accountability, and the concept that there are consequences for your actions when, obviously, there really aren't?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How can I try to teach responsibility, accountability, and the concept that there are consequences for your actions when, obviously, there really aren't?
Maybe by being a parent and imposing your own consequences? It's not rocket science.

StepDad

Gee, why didn't I think of that? Believe me, my consequences have been handed out in spades. My point, though if taken as I meant it wouldn't have afforded you the opportunity for your judgemental sarcasm, was that there were no LEGAL consequences for his boneheaded decision making. Hard to teach respect for authority and law when the message received from the court flies in the face of that. That was my point.

CdwJava

Knowing that the juvenile justice system is woefully inadequate to the task of deterring youthful indiscretion, I have long exemplified a philosophy with my three sons that the punishment I impose shall greatly exceed the "crime". None of this "the punishment shall be equal to the crime" stuff at my house.

When we focus on the justice system to demonstrate what is right and wrong, we - as parents - surrender to the state that which we should be taking on. That is, instilling the discipline and direction for a moral upbringing that builds and instills character and behavior necessary to be a responsible and productive adult. As a parent I do not want the state instilling its secular morality upon me anyway. I do not care what the justice system might do to my children because the ultimate authority in our lives is NOT the state. If the state fails to discipline, that's all right by me because I will do that which is right, regardless.

The juvenile justice system is subject to whims of legislators that do not have the best interests of me or my child at heart. The system is also subject to dispassionate judicial review and nuances of the law that often prevent it from being an effective deterrent. As such, we cannot rely on it.

I applaud any parent or step-parent that enforces values in his or her home regardless of the consequences imposed (or not imposed) by the state.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">