• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qx5

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Tonight in a parking garage I got stopped by a cop who happened to walk by and see alcohol sitting in my car that belonged to another person in the car. He searched the rest of my car without asking and wrote me a criminal citation. The citation says:

Being Under 21 years of age, unlawfully possess and have under his charge and control an alcoholic beverage. 16oz 6% alcohol. Penalty: $500/$1000

And gave me a court date for the end of July. Does anyone have any clue what may happen when i go to court? He said it is possible that i may just get community service. Is there anything I can say to the judge to make things better? I just dont want to loose my license. Especially because I was not drinking since I was driving.

IAAL

qx5 said:

Tonight in a parking garage I got stopped by a cop who happened to walk by and see alcohol sitting in my car that belonged to another person in the car. He searched the rest of my car without asking and wrote me a criminal citation. The citation says:

Being Under 21 years of age, unlawfully possess and have under his charge and control an alcoholic beverage. 16oz 6% alcohol. Penalty: $500/$1000

And gave me a court date for the end of July. Does anyone have any clue what may happen when i go to court? He said it is possible that i may just get community service. Is there anything I can say to the judge to make things better? I just dont want to loose my license. Especially because I was not drinking since I was driving.

My response:

There may be nothing you can say to the judge. However, there is one thing I can say to you . . . we have a search button at the top of this page. Use it to locate at least 100 or more threads and answers on this same topic.

IAAL

qx5

I have searched and read other threads however none of them were from Maryland. Does Maryland law say that I will loose my license? Or will I just have a fine? Is this something I should get an attorney for?

moburkes

qx5 said:

Don't say THAT to the judge.

OP: Well, your honor, I would like to receive a reduced sentence or fine because I was not drinking since I was driving.
Judge: And, how old are you again, young man?
OP: Under 21...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">