• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage possession of a handgun?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Damon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just turned sixteen a few weeks ago, and have been bestowed with a fully paid off 2002 Ultima. Naturally, while scared, I'm excited to drive. I've always wanted to go overnight hiking by myself and well...now I have the chance. One problem though: Coyotes f******* everywhere. Mountain Lions, bears ( usually don't mess with you, but you never know)... I've been hunting my whole life and as much as I love nature, the love is not mutual. There are things out there that want to eat me. Basically, my question is... as long as I'm not in a protected wild life reserve, or in a national park...and I'm in the deep woods, is it legal for me to be in possession of a hip-holstered, unconcealed handgun? There are so many exceptions in the law that just crossing counties can make a difference. Thanks to anyone reading this.

FlyingRon

We won't deal with foul mouthed kids like you. If you can post here without making a profanity-laden tantrum, then you aren't mature enough to be trusted with either a car or a gun.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I just turned sixteen a few weeks ago, and have been bestowed with a fully paid off 2002 Ultima. Naturally, while scared, I'm excited to drive. I've always wanted to go overnight hiking by myself and well...now I have the chance. One problem though: Coyotes f******* everywhere. Mountain Lions, bears ( usually don't mess with you, but you never know)... I've been hunting my whole life and as much as I love nature, the love is not mutual. There are things out there that want to eat me. Basically, my question is... as long as I'm not in a protected wild life reserve, or in a national park...and I'm in the deep woods, is it legal for me to be in possession of a hip-holstered, unconcealed handgun? There are so many exceptions in the law that just crossing counties can make a difference. Thanks to anyone reading this.
Shocking that the animsls you would kill do not feel the warm fuzzies for you. :rolleyes:

OHRoadwarrior

It has been suggested the best way to repel bears and coyotes is to wear bright colored beads and eat lots of garlic. Though you cannot carry a firearm, bear repellant spray or wasp spray, shot into the animals eyes is very effective and can be used from a distance. You can also decipher bear and coyote scat by the presence of beads and aroma of garlic.

Matt Damon

Im sorry you feel that way Ron, it was meant to give a light mood to a potentially horrific subject. I dont EVER want to have to shoot anything I dont need to. However, that being said, thank you for your time.

Thank you roadwarrior! Excellent suggestion. I usually wear orange anyhow (I like to go during deer season here), but a spray should do the trick enough...I hope. I might just have to let my dream be deferred for a few more years however, seeing as we're getting more and more reports of domesticated wiodlife becoming fearless of humans. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I don't think a handgun would be of much use against a bear.

And what, pray tell, is a 2002 Ultima? A type of frisbee? Or is that your handgun?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Im sorry you feel that way Ron, it was meant to give a light mood to a potentially horrific subject. I dont EVER want to have to shoot anything I dont need to. However, that being said, thank you for your time.

Thank you roadwarrior! Excellent suggestion. I usually wear orange anyhow (I like to go during deer season here), but a spray should do the trick enough...I hope. I might just have to let my dream be deferred for a few more years however, seeing as we're getting more and more reports of domesticated wiodlife becoming fearless of humans. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind!
So the deer you shoot while hunting somehow threaten you? Of wait - you don't HAVE to shoot them, you just WANT to.

Note - I have nothing against hunting. Just hunters with such a cavalier attitude.

Matt Damon

No...I mean the local predators...the coyotes and such ive previously mentioned. A large amount of dens are popping up, and packdsare receiving full course meals from locals. Do you mean how I was reffering to deer season? Its the people you need to watch out for, thats why orange is a lifesaver. Wouldn't want to give you the wrong idea haha... Oh and I typed Altima, but it changed it. This is beginning to feel a little more like reddit than a legal forum. Well, I got my answer. I think this thread deserves a closing.

Matt Damon

Oh, and honestly a .22 could handle a bear if you were davy crockett. But most of us arent haha. It just requires a well placed shot. Its typical for hikers and hunters to carry a .40 or .44. its plenty to take down a bear. Most of the time however, just firing a warning shot is enough.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which does not change the fact that you cannot carry a firearm until you are of legal age to do so.

Just Blue

Yah gottah be wicked kiddin' me "Matt Damon". :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">