• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage possession of malt beverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeansboy

What is the name of your state? NC. My 18yr old son was given a ticket by an off duty police officer who was not in uniform. Noise from a party my son was attending, awoke a police officer living in the same apartment bldg. He came over to the party out of bed and out of uniform and issued my son and a friend of his, tickets for underage possession of a malt beverage. He also had them submit to a breartalizer test. Was this action legal on his part? Are the tickets valid? Would the issuance of tickets, under these circumstances, hold up in court?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Why would they NOT hold up in court?

The officer was not at work, and it is never wise to be your own complainant in a situation like this, but I doubt there is anything unlawful about the officer acting on his status as a peace officer and asking the lads to submit to a breath test and issuign a citation.

Maybe next time they will learn to party a little quieter.

- Carl

Jeansboy

Yes they did submit to them.One was a .14 and one was a.03. I wasn,t aware an off-duty officer could issue a ticket to someone. I guess my question is , what is the penality for a conviction of underage possession of a malt beverage considering the zero tolerance policy of NC?

rmet4nzkx

Yes they did submit to them.One was a .14 and one was a.03. I wasn,t aware an off-duty officer could issue a ticket to someone. I guess my question is , what is the penality for a conviction of underage possession of a malt beverage considering the zero tolerance policy of NC?
Which BAC belonged to your son? In any event you have a bigger problem than whether or not an off duty officer can issue citations to rowdy underage party goers. Your best source of this information is going to be a criminal defense attorney since there may be some options that may differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">