• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage tobacco possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ohio
My 16 year old son who is slilghtly mentally challenged got a ticket for underage tobacco possession. What happen is he was hanging out with some kids and one of them asked him to hold his cigerettes for some reason the police stopped them and searched the whole crew and found the cigerettes on my son. My question is will I be able to speak to the magistrate and explain to him/her what happened or will they just not care to hear it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You were NOT there therefore you will not be able to explain or represent your son. You need an attorney to do that. Also your son is guilty. He is underage and he had cigarettes.

xylene

queeniez71 said:
My 16 year old son who is slilghtly mentally challenged got a ticket for underage tobacco possession. What happen is he was hanging out with some kids and one of them asked him to hold his cigerettes for some reason the police stopped them and searched the whole crew and found the cigerettes on my son. My question is will I be able to speak to the magistrate and explain to him/her what happened or will they just not care to hear it?
The fine is $100.

Tell your son to NEVER "hold" anything for anybody.

Tell your son that when a policeman asks if he can search him, to always NO.

I would really be interested in hearing how these young people came to be searched.

Happy Trails

queeniez71 said:
I agree with Ohiogal and xylene. The fact is your son was in possession of tobacco.

From Ohio statutes:

ORC § 2151.87: Minor prohibited from possessing, using, purchasing or receiving cigarettes or other tobacco products

**************. (B) No child shall do any of the following unless accompanied by a parent, spouse who is eighteen years of age or older, or legal guardian of the child:

(1) Use, consume, or possess cigarettes, other tobacco products, or papers used to roll cigarettes;**************....

(F) If a juvenile court finds that a child violated division (B)(1), (2), (3), or (4) or (C) of this section, the court may do either or both of the following:

(1) Require the child to attend a youth smoking education program or other smoking treatment program approved by the court, if one is available;

(2) Impose a fine of not more than one hundred dollars.

(G) If a child disobeys a juvenile court order issued pursuant to division (F) of this section, the court may do any or all of the following:

(1) Increase the fine imposed upon the child under division (F)(2) of this section;

(2) Require the child to perform not more than twenty hours of community service;

(3) Suspend for a period of thirty days the temporary instruction permit, probationary driver's license, or driver's license issued to the child.

(H) A child alleged or found to have violated division (B) or (C) of this section shall not be detained under any provision of this chapter or any other provision of the Revised Code.

CdwJava

xylene said:
The fine is $100.

Tell your son to NEVER "hold" anything for anybody.

Tell your son that when a policeman asks if he can search him, to always NO.

I would really be interested in hearing how these young people came to be searched.
Not always tough to search kids ... they usually say yes when asked. And, when cigarettes are involved, kids smell, cigarette packs bulge obviously, and butts are on the ground around the parties.

Cigs are great cause for a search.

- Carl

Thank you everybody for answering my question . He did get a 100.00 fine but the magistrate was cool enough to give him 3 months to pay it. He is putting applications in now for a job so he can pay his fine. Thanks again.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">