• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unurly charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calcutech

What is the name of your state? ohio

i know a girl who is 16. i am 19

i would have liked to date her, and vice versa, but because of the age difference that just wasn't possible. we both really care about each other though
we hung out for a little while, but her mom didn't like me and actually told me that we weren't allowed to hang out anymore

even after that i admittedly did see her a couple times, but her mom called me after that and said basically cut it off or else
that was roughly 2 months ago. about a week or two ago on a Saturday night i ran into her at a basketball game and we ended up talking and hanging out for the rest of the game

while there i found out that she had begun cutting again.
when we had been talking and really close she had used to cut the inside of her leg using her fingernails, for many reasons
her mom never really pays attention to her, and she doesn't live with her dad. most of the time she feels like nobody really cares about her at all, and she has a pretty bad self image
she is seeing somebody about this, but for some reason she never made much progress.
while we had been close i had talked to her and managed to make her understand that i really do care about her, and that she was beautiful, i wasn't just saying it to make her feel better
well like i said there were about two months time between than and when i saw her again, during which we didnt have any contact
when i saw her at the game i found out she had been getting worse and worse
she had moved tho cutting on her stomach
and then to small cuts on her wrist
she also had started making herself throw up a few times a day, mostly because she had once again convinced herself that she was fat

the tuesday after the basketball game she called me and asked me if i would come meet her when she got off work, and we could hang out for maybe an hour
i agreed mostly because i was very worried about her and i really wanted to talk to her about it, because she really cares about what i think, and i really care about her

we huhg out for that time and i talked to her and somehow i did get through to her
she agreed once again to stop hurting herself, and she still didnt agree with me, but she once again knew that i thought she was beautiful, and she went from throwing up 3 times a day to not doing it once for an entire week

the problem is that about 10 days after i saw her, through a chain of about 5 people, her mom found out that we had hung out again

her mom has now spoken to the police and is trying to file unruly charges against her own daughter, and is considering filing some kid of charge against me, basically because i helped her daughter disobey her

i did all of this because of how much i care about her and i was worried about her, and now this
what i need to know is where do i stand and is there anything inn particular i could say to the officer investigating that would help me

this whole situation is honestly, in my opinion quite stupid. why you would use legal means against your own daughter in a case like this is completely beyond me. but i really need some help understanding all of this and what i can/should do.

thank you

quincy

I think you need to tell the investigating officer that your friend is a cutter and you are worried about her.

Cutting is a way some people, generally teenagers, cope with stress or tension or depression. Cutters often feel a great "release" after hurting themselves. Cutting, like eating disorders, burning, bone-breaking and hair-pulling among others, is a way some people have of gaining control over their body when they feel they have no control over their life.

Oftentimes a parent is unaware his/her child has been multilating her body (it is more common in girls but not unusual in boys).

The reason I think you should tell the investigating officer is that cutting is often done in private, but triggers can (but not always) include sexual abuse, a chaotic family life that includes the alcoholism of a parent, and physical and/or emotional neglect. In fact, neglect is a pretty good predictor of who will become a cutter - or of who will use another method of self-medication (like drugs or alcohol).

The girl's mother can keep you from seeing her, possibly through a restraining order, and so I think you need to let the officer know that this friend of yours is hurting. You may be prevented from seeing her for awhile, which is too bad, but perhaps you can still help her by seeing that she gets the help she needs.

calcutech

i did mention that to him
and that it was the reason that i had gone to see her that day

her mom does know about it, or at least used to, im pretty sure she knows now
her mom makes her go see her moms pastor
but my friend doesnt hold the same beliefs that the pastor and her mom do
and the pastor is of a seemingly controling nature

and from what i have gotten from her, he really doesnt help too much, just causes more confusion and makes her feel worse

the mom holds this guy very highly and does most anything that the pastor says to do

so she is getting "help" but the situation continues getting worse, that is why i am getting so worried, and am so reluctant to just stop seeing her

calcutech

the moms case is that she told my friend repeatedly she was not allowed to see me
and also, at one point we were considering dating. that is part of the reason she doesn't like me. at that point my friend was 15 and i was 18

that is why she is filing unruly charges against my friend

her case against me is that she told me that my friend was not allowed to see me, and i still let her see me, so i basically aided her in disobeying her mom

i really want to help my friend somehow
and i would of course also want to make sure neither of us get found guilty of either of these charges

i really don't know what do do or say to the officer
if anybody could somehow advise me as to my best approach to this that would be of great help.
im just not sure of what to do

calcutech

hopefully they don't say different

when we were talking about dating back before we did kiss/make out a few times. but we never went any farther than that. that definitely wasn't the purpose of seeing her on this occasion though

i really do care about her and i really want to help her
her pastor has decided i am just claiming to like/care for her because i want to get with her
he has even gone as far as calling me a scumbag and pervert because of it
all without meeting me

thank you you have been of great help
hopefully the lawyers agree with you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The Mom sounds like she'd drive anyone to cut themselves. Her case is weak and the girl should have your back anyway. You've done nothing remotely criminal and this should be apparent to investigators. And maybe as a result of Mom's belligerence this girl can finally get some help aside from what you have tried. Good luck!
You are wrong. He has broken the law in Ohio. He has contributed to the delinquency of a minor and the child is unruly by state law. So you need to sit back and not answer any posts until you learn the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
hopefully they don't say different

when we were talking about dating back before we did kiss/make out a few times. but we never went any farther than that. that definitely wasn't the purpose of seeing her on this occasion though

i really do care about her and i really want to help her
her pastor has decided i am just claiming to like/care for her because i want to get with her
he has even gone as far as calling me a scumbag and pervert because of it
all without meeting me

thank you you have been of great help
hopefully the lawyers agree with you
Monae is WRONG. If you listen to her you may find yourself completely disappointed in what does happen. You knew mom did not want you around her child. YOU are legally an adult. You were warned previously. Because of you, the child is disobeying mom. Therefore you are guilty of a crime.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Focus what you say on the fact you are trying to help your friend, and there is nothing unruly about that. You and your friend have not been engaging in unruly behavior, running the streets, doing drugs, or having sex, or anything else besides talking. The mom's case has no weight. Disobedience? It's a joke. The investigator should easily see you have nothing but positive intent for this girl. And as long as the girl herself backs this up, then I can see no reason why these charges should be filed.

Just some "free advice." I'll be curious to see if there are any juvenile lawyers out there who say differently.
Your free advice is worth absolutely nothing. Disobedience is NOT a joke. The investigator may believe that but mom told him to stay away. Unruly behavior -- good grief, you have no clue. Your advice is basically telling him to continue breaking the law and get himself in even more trouble. Please don't.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The whole time I'm reading these responses shaking my head in disbelief, I couldn't wait to get to the end and respond. Dangit, OG, I wanted this one. :p

Just Blue

The whole time I'm reading these responses shaking my head in disbelief, I couldn't wait to get to the end and respond. Dangit, OG, I wanted this one. :p
Me too! Wouldn't it be nice if Admin required testing BEFORE someone was allowed to post "advice" on a thread?? :cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm the wrong one to ask that question. I think people should have to pass a test before they vote or become parents, too.

calcutech

the biggest reason i went to see her is because she was physically and emotionally hurting herself, and it was only getting worse
i care about her, and wanted to help, because apparently nobody else was
and my help worked

isn't that worth anything?

Silverplum

the biggest reason i went to see her is because she was physically and emotionally hurting herself, and it was only getting worse
i care about her, and wanted to help, because apparently nobody else was
and my help worked

isn't that worth anything?
LEGALLY, NO. No, no, and again I say unto you, NO.

calcutech

thank you i guess

even though i consider that pretty messed up

what is my best approach to this then?
i have spoken to the investigator once so far
what else can i do at this point? anything?

what would be the best thing for me to do/say at this point
either to help her, or myself, preferably both

Silverplum

thank you i guess

even though i consider that pretty messed up

what is my best approach to this then?
i have spoken to the investigator once so far
what else can i do at this point? anything?

what would be the best thing for me to do/say at this point
either to help her, or myself, preferably both
Do exactly as her mother says. The girl is under the full care and control of her parent/s till she's 18. If they/she say/s stay away, you stay away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">