• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT! 17 and in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tifanyrb

I live in NC but my family wants to move to Sc on the first of June, I want to move out THIS MONTH. I would be staying with my friend (who is 21), I would have a job that generally pays 900 a month (I know its not a lot but still better than not having one period.) I have a GED.

I already pay my family 160-200 dollars a month depending on how much I make(again, i know its not a whole lot but still, it doesnt seem right), and i also pay for my own clothes, food, pay for my cellphone and doctor visits, vet visits for my cat etc. And take care of them and cleaning up the house, etc.

They know I am very unhappy with my homelife... but they said that there is NO WAY IN HELL I can move out, they even want me to stay living them well after I turn 18... So I know the police would be called and theyd freak if I moved out...

But is there anything I can do without having to be emancipated? ( we never live in one county long enough, and 'we're moving' and I read that you have to be a resident of a county for longer than 6 months and what not)

I need proof. I've asked in several places and always get mixed answers but never any links to back it up.

I dont want to leave and have to go back with my family, and I dont want my friend to get into trouble!

Please help im running out of time!

could proving that they smoke marijuana help? i have also been physicly abuse when i was younger but cant really prove that now... They also took me out of school when ii was 13 and didnt homeschool me, even though im 17 now does that still matter or no?

Silverplum

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_7B/Article_35.html

I live in NC but my family wants to move to Sc on the first of June, I want to move out THIS MONTH. I would be staying with my friend (who is 21), I would have a job that generally pays 900 a month (I know its not a lot but still better than not having one period.) I have a GED.

I already pay my family 160-200 dollars a month depending on how much I make(again, i know its not a whole lot but still, it doesnt seem right), and i also pay for my own clothes, food, pay for my cellphone and doctor visits, vet visits for my cat etc. And take care of them and cleaning up the house, etc.

They know I am very unhappy with my homelife... but they said that there is NO WAY IN HELL I can move out, they even want me to stay living them well after I turn 18... So I know the police would be called and theyd freak if I moved out...

But is there anything I can do without having to be emancipated? ( we never live in one county long enough, and 'we're moving' and I read that you have to be a resident of a county for longer than 6 months and what not)

I need proof. I've asked in several places and always get mixed answers but never any links to back it up.

I dont want to leave and have to go back with my family, and I dont want my friend to get into trouble!

Please help im running out of time!

could proving that they smoke marijuana help? i have also been physicly abuse when i was younger but cant really prove that now... They also took me out of school when ii was 13 and didnt homeschool me, even though im 17 now does that still matter or no?

Mikef6301

I don't think your parents shouldn't be charging you rent if you are under 18, legally they are obligated to provide you with food, clothing, and shelter assuming it is within their means. I don't see a problem with them making you buy some of your own food and clothing since you have a job and this will likely be good practice for when you are on your own. I would tell your parents that you are moving out, and if they choose to intervene you will report their criminal behavior. Taking you out of school and not homeschooling likely violated some laws as well. Do you have younger siblings? You may want to involve social services. Perhaps you could live in foster care in the town you currently reside until you turn 18. Initially there may be more rules and restrictions living in a foster care but I think if you proved you were responsible it's likely they would give you a lot of freedom. I would consider putting this in writing, it's likely telling them you will turn them in for their marijuana use would just turn into an argument/yelling match. I would lay out your reasons for wanting to stay, emphasize your responsible behavior and employment and make sure they don't feel like you just want to get away from them even if that is the case. You may even mention a plan to visit them regularly, perhaps there is a train or bus that you can take to see them every few weeks. I applaud you for working, there are a lot of 17 year olds that don't have a job. It's not how much money you make it's whether you enjoy your job and are using it to move into something better. If your friend is a significant other, you being 17 and them being 21 changes everything.

mommyof4

What, and contributing a small portion to the household for rent isn't preparing a minor for the future? Not to mention that technically and legally, if they really wanted to, the parents could confiscate the entire paycheck of their minor child. All possessions and earnings of a minor belong to the parent(s).

What you think or feel is not the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What, and contributing a small portion to the household for rent isn't preparing a minor for the future? Not to mention that technically and legally, if they really wanted to, the parents could confiscate the entire paycheck of their minor child. All possessions and earnings of a minor belong to the parent(s).

Wrong. Very wrong.

Mikef6301

My response was advice on how I think she should proceed. Silverplum already did a great job in posting a link to the laws regarding emancipation. Somehow I don't believe her physically abusive, pot smoking parents who weren't responsible enough to properly home school tifanyrb are charging her rent in order to prepare her for the future. Parents that can afford to use marijuana shouldn't look to their children as a source of income. I would guess that their marijuana use is significant and perhaps contributes to their constant moving, past physical abuse, and their total failure of providing an education for tifanyrb. $200.00 from a $900.00 paycheck is not a small portion.

Silverplum

My response was advice on how I think she should proceed. Silverplum already did a great job in posting a link to the laws regarding emancipation. Somehow I don't believe her physically abusive, pot smoking parents who weren't responsible enough to properly home school tifanyrb are charging her rent in order to prepare her for the future. Parents that can afford to use marijuana shouldn't look to their children as a source of income. I would guess that their marijuana use is significant and perhaps contributes to their constant moving, past physical abuse, and their total failure of providing an education for tifanyrb. $200.00 from a $900.00 paycheck is not a small portion.
This is a legal site. She got her legal answer. What you *think/believe/guess* is irrelevant.

For instance: I happen to think that the Tiffster, like just about every teen, is *exaggerating* her situation. Perhaps even lying. ;););) She wants something, she thinks it has to be ~~dramatic~~ to get attention.

Notice Her Dramaticness has not returned: not to say thanks, not to get further help. She got what her teenheart wanted, so she's good to go. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Until she reads the link (if she does) and finds out she can't do as she wishes. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">