• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent - Minor in Posession/Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

expert01 said:
When they came, they were EXTREMELY rude.
Dealing with a bunch of drinking kids acting like idiots tends to make the cops cranky.

They gave me a minor in posession of alcohol (6-9-2(c)), even though it wasn't my alcohol, I am only staying here temporarily, and my name is not on the lease. They gave my friend the same (although he bought it).
Possession is about constructive control, not ownership. You were staying on the property, knew about the alcohol, and had dominion and control over the alcohol. Ergo, you were in possession.

They threatened me and my roommate with detox ($500) if I asked for badge numbers or asked questions. They also threatened my roommate with a felony if a complaint was filed. They were very rude and vulgar and kept telling us to shut up.
If they made those "threats", then you need to make a complaint against them. You should have every right to know their names and badge numbers (at least in CA you do - CO might be different) ... however, that information is on the citations. However, that does NOT mean that you have a right to keep harping on them or annoying them for the info. But, if they threatened to charge a felony (not sure what felony could possibly be filed here), then this needs to be brought to the attention of the officers' command.

My question: IS it legal for them to blackmail us like that? If I file a complaint and they add more charges, is that legal? can they threaten me like that? Is there any way to get these dismissed?
A complaint would not get the charges dismissed. Is it legal for them make these threats? No, not really. However, my guess is that their account will be slightly different than yours. I would encourage you to speak to the officers' supervisors and make a complaint if this indeed happened.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">