• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vandalisim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tagmom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son is 14 yrs old and I recently found out (when the officer came to my house!) that when my son slept over at a friends house (there were 3 boys total) they snuck out at about 3:00 am and went to this girls house that they dont like. They threw paint on her house and spray painted $#@!$. This is a town house which means they also got this paint on the adjoining home. Officer came to my house looking for my son who has never been in any kind of trouble. I kept asking why he wanted him...he wouldnt tell me untill I tild him where my son was. (which was at school for an after school program)
The officer said he had to talk to the other parents of the boys but the victim wanted to press criminal charges. Ok, fast forward. Officer called me this morning. Said the victim will accept restitution if all 3 parents agree. He requested all 3 set of parents go to station with out the boys and if all 3 parents agree to pay then everything will be dropped but if not then he has to file charges. He said over and over that this information has gotten to the chief and he wants something done about it immediately. What should I expect when I got to the station? Do we have to pay what ever the victim says? I mean like if she gets an estimate for a door that the paint is on and decides she wants a better door do we still have to pay for upgrades? Should I be calling an attorney to go with us? My son is remoursefull for what he has done and we are getting him some therapy. (he is also special Ed) I dont know how my husband and I should handle this at the station.

JETX

What should I expect when I got to the station?
Hmmm... pretty simple.
Expect to see the other two sets of parents and possibly the victims to your sons conduct.

Do we have to pay what ever the victim says?
Nope. You can chose to allow your son have a juvenile record... and the punishment that goes with it.

I mean like if she gets an estimate for a door that the paint is on and decides she wants a better door do we still have to pay for upgrades?
Who said anything about 'upgrades'??? We're talking PAINT here... not replacements.

Should I be calling an attorney to go with us?
If you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">