• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want 17 yr old to move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coloradomom

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Can I ask my 17 year old daughter to move out? If I do ask her to, and she refuses, can I make her leave? She rarely attends school anymore, does not work, and is basically free-loading. I want her to move out, get a job, and support herself if she does not intend to complete high school.

BL

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Can I ask my 17 year old daughter to move out? If I do ask her to, and she refuses, can I make her leave? She rarely attends school anymore, does not work, and is basically free-loading. I want her to move out, get a job, and support herself if she does not intend to complete high school.
Sure you can ask her almost anything .

You can-not force her to .

You put your foot down. That's what you do .

Ya know curfew , take away privileges , give her chores to do .

Do NOT give her $$$s unless she follows the rules .

Oh yeah , tell her if She wants anything other than necessities , ya know food , shelter , clothing ( from salvation Army store ) , She has get a job and buy it .

Here it is

Do everything the other poster said and when she turns 18, you can have her legally evicted from your home. That should be a wake up call. Had a friend with the same problem. Daughter was rude, disrespectful, did nothing, would not work, partied all the time. When she turned 18, had her evicted. The girl got a rude awakening and was forced to get a job. She did ask to come home, cried, begged, pleaded, etc... My friend did NOT relent and the girl was better off. She is now 25, works, pays for her own car, is self sufficient.

MyHouse

Good advice...

I'm filing this example away for my crusade against freeloaders... LOL (Because freeloaders can't freeload if somebody doesn't let them, so my focus will be on the enablers.):D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">