• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to know if parents can charge me with this in NH?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wakefinder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My Girl friends parents threatened me the other day with kidnapping . because my girl friend was with me at my brother birthdays at my house and her parents got mad at her for something. her dad wanted her to go home and she didnt want to . so she didnt go home and wanted to stay with me and because she was with me and im 19 and she is 17 In New Hamshire they said they were charging me with kidnapping. i want to know if they can do this because to my knowledge at the age of 17 to what i have been told, she is the age of criminal responsibility and i was told this by someone else "she is responsible for her actions now including , the choose to do what she wants aginist her parents wishes." Other words they do not control her in terms of where she is and who she AGREES to be with." i want to know if this is true that they can bring these charges on me even know im her boyfriend and im not holding anyone against their will. Also want to know what would happen if she choose to leave her house and live at mine before she was 18 could me or my family be charged?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With kidnapping? Probably not.

But the age of majority in NH is 18. Not 17, 18. Do not mistake the age of consent (the age at which the state will not charge you with crime for having sex with her) with the age of consent (the age at which she is allowed to move out of her parents house without their permission). That means that she is under their complete custody and control. She does not get to do anything but breathe without their say-so. So while kidnapping would probably not fly, make no mistake, there are charges they could make stick.

Also want to know what would happen if she choose to leave her house and live at mine before she was 18 could me or my family be charged? .

Damn straight they could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">