• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What advice to give a 17 year old abused child in TN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grl-n-tn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

We have a set of (awful) neighbors. The adults are nutcases, they have rubbed dog excrement in the 17 yo grandchild's face, they hit their 3 grandkids (whom they have legal custody of) and their 2 foster children. They have hired an ex-con to be the "nanny" for the foster kids, the kids mother is a drug addict and she is in and out of the house. Anyway, this 17 yo has learning disabilities and they have jerked him in and out of public school/private church school/homeschool repeatedly he is about 2 years behind other kids his age at this point. Several times the grandparents have set him "out" meaning he was sent to live with the mom who gave up her rights to him, the other grandparents or a neighbor and all of them have brought him back in short order b/c he has behavior problems and lies (big surprise huh?) So today they have the police there for the THIRD time this week and the 17 yo is hiding behind our house. I didn't see him until he started to walk down the front yard trying to get to the highway. He looked back and was obviously terrified of being found out. I just nodded to him and turned around to unload groceries. I wasn't going to aid him in running away b/c I knew there could be legal problems there but I darn well won't blow the whistle on him trying to escape this bunch of weirdos. Well, then police officer A sees him, jumps in the car and speeds after him. He yells at him to get in the car then u-turns and speeds back to their house where the kid is begging them not to make him get out but THEY DO! And then the grandparents march him back in the house and the police LEAVE. When a minor child is terrified and crying and begging not to be sent back to a home shouldn't the police take them to some sort of safe place until things at least calm down or until a judge can become involved? CPS has had at least 3 other reports of in your face abuse made against these people and have actually said "They are our finest Christian household." PUH-LEASE! So, I called the state hotline rather than going to our local CPS and reported it there. If this child doesn't kill himself he may very well kill the grandparents in self defense or out of mental disturbance. My heart breaks for him. Does he have any chance of being declared free of these people? Whose name could I give him to find some form of help. The only thing I can think of is for him to hang in there another few months and enlist in the service at 18. Anything he can do before then? He wants away desperately but the grandparents get some sort of check on him and the other kids and have said they will fight for that. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">