• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What age can i move out of my parents house without their consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faith10104

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Im 17 years old about to turn 18 this June. Im pregnant and about to have him this week. I cant stand living with my parents anymore and i want to move in with my 18 year old fiancee and his mom asap. In ohio do i have to be 18 to move out without permission?

mommyof4

Yep**************......

I just have to add (because your snotty, selfish attitude really ticked me off the more I thought about it)....

You can't stand your parents and you want out of the stressful environment? Have you any idea how much YOU have contributed to that environment? You want to be treated like an adult? Okay, here's your chance. Take a step back and look at this situation from your parents' point of view. While a baby is a blessing, that does NOT mean that your parents must be overjoyed and gusing with love and support for their daughter who chose to have a baby at 17 years of age. You have no idea what is in store for you and it would behoove you to do everything in your power to make the stressful environment less so and to try to show your parents respect and gratitude. You are going to need them there for you.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And the same holds true in the other 49 states too. There are a couple of states where a loophole in the way the law is written makes it difficult for a 17 year old to be forced to return home, but that doesn't make it legal for the 17 year old to move out. And Ohio is NOT one of those states, anyway.

You're on the hook till June, kid. Better suck it up.

mommyof4

and more.....

Who pays for your medical care?
Who pays for your food?
Who pays for your shelter?
Who pays for your utilities?
Who provides EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SURVIVE? Who in Hades do you think is going to be helping support your baby? Yes, I know, I know...boyfriend will support you (pathetic) and the baby. (If you are smart, you will get a court order for CS). But, I highly doubt that your parents are going to kick you and your baby into the street to fend for yourselves and I doubt they are going to force you to pay all of your and your child's expenses.

Jon_Chap

I thought this was a forum for legal advice. Not for a mommy of 4 to give chastising to a troubled youth asking a legal question. Your opinion as to how snotty she is has nothing to do with the answer being sought. Worry about your own kids let this one take care of hers as she sees fit. Life is hard, best of luck.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She has to be 18. On the bright side, she can send HER BABY to live with his daddy and that way the infant doesn't have to suffer like she is suffering until she turns 18. Then, in June, if her boyfriend and his mother still want her to move in with them, she can.

mommyof4

I thought this was a forum for legal advice. Not for a mommy of 4 to give chastising to a troubled youth asking a legal question. Your opinion as to how snotty she is has nothing to do with the answer being sought. Worry about your own kids let this one take care of hers as she sees fit. Life is hard, best of luck.
I gave the legal answer. The other food for thought was a bonus. :cool:

AHA

It can't be all that bad to live with your parents since you still managed to have enough "fun" with bf to get pregnant, way before you are mature and financially stable enough to give the child a good life.

faith10104

:)I was just stating the situation... i wasnt being snotty and yes ive thought about it from there point of view. i dont argue with them i got whats coming to me. Im greatful that theyve helped me out with buying the food i eat and the room i live (which comes as a resposibilty of being a parent) I havent went in to detail about everything bc honestly no one cares. But its not both of my parents its my mom who was 17 when she got pregnant too. but thanks for puting your opinion out about a complete stranger that you know almost nothing about.

Silverplum

:)I was just stating the situation... i wasnt being snotty and yes ive thought about it from there point of view. i dont argue with them i got whats coming to me. Im greatful that theyve helped me out with buying the food i eat and the room i live (which comes as a resposibilty of being a parent) I havent went in to detail about everything bc honestly no one cares. But its not both of my parents its my mom who was 17 when she got pregnant too. but thanks for puting your opinion out about a complete stranger that you know almost nothing about.
And thank you for asking for advice from a bunch of complete strangers that you know nothing about!

:rolleyes:

AHA

Which doesn't mean YOU had to. My mom had me when she was 17, and I was smart enough to learn from her mistake and avoid messing up a child's and my life by doing the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">